Pages

Sunday, April 01, 2012

Another day

Life these last few days have been... meh.

Nothing unusual,exciting, or otherwise noteworthy has happened.

We did experience an earthquake. It was a 6. something. It was unnerving for me but did not disturb me as much as it seemed to disturb the local people. I would assume this is due to the quake and tsunami of last year. Given the frequency of earth quakes here I would have believed the anxiety of them would not be so high though.

The question I ask myself is not IF my house will shake, but WHEN and how hard. I have become accustomed to small quakes nearly every day. Many times I question if it is a truck driving past they are so light and short.

I do not fault the Japanese. It is natural to fear a repeat of the devastation so soon. It was not easy to overcome it after the quake in Xian in 2008. Mother told me of her fears with each aftershock. It is why she returned home so soon after arriving in Japan. The earthquakes, though very minor, disturbed her.

The ground shaking is part of my life. I take note of it when it is worthy of noting. I will keep my dishes far enough apart to prevent their rattling during small quakes. If I hear them, I will know this one is worth noting.

1 comment:

  1. I would think they would be very paranoid about quakes, after the devastation they have suffered. I know after a major tornado here, we are all on edge with the next storm.. I don't like the thought of quakes, and we are now having them in Oklahoma!!! Not that bad, but bad for us.. I hope you never have to have that horrible experience!!

    ReplyDelete