Pages

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Changes?

I have been notified of our name rising on the housing list. If we choose, we would relocate to base housing in June.

Upon arrival we entered our name on the list for "just in case" reasons... would I be lonely off base... would we find it a financial hardship off base... would something unexpected arise. Simple things that you can not plan for.

Lt has said it is my choice(thank you dear for no pressure.. :P). I have retrieved my calculator, which was no easy task as I had to find the box it was in, and begun looking to what is financially best. I am surprised at the results.

If we were to move on base we would cease paying rent of ¥300,000($3,500.00 depending on the exchange rate). We would also cease paying utilities of approximately $1,100.00. We would also cease receiving $3,900 housing and utility allowance. As a result we would have an increase of spendable money of $700.00. Seven hundred more per month sounds good.

But to receive that $700.00 I must give up my house. I love my house. If I give up my house, these are my choices;

This choice is an apartment on the 6th floor with a view of the ocean and port. I would enjoy this. But I have been told that during earthquakes the building sways. It is said you will feel every quake twice. Once as it travels up the building and again as it travels down. I would not enjoy this. These towers are built on rollers so they say they will resist earthquakes to 8.5.

I have also been told I will share space with enlisted families. o_O Really? The point of telling me this was??? Why would someone believe this would influence my decision? I share space with enlisted families every day! We shop together, we are entertained together, we eat together. Perhaps it is my newness to the Navy why I do not understand this "warning." I do know I do not wish to adopt this idea that I am somehow different or better than enlisted families. I have experienced enough of that simply being female and Chinese. I refuse to adopt it.


This is my other choice. It is not as nice as my current house nor is it as large. It is also farther from the base than I am now. It is only officer's families. My view would be of other houses. I know that is what I see now but at the least my current house is pretty. I do not believe I would not give up my current house for this one.

I have little time to make my decision. I do not wish to leave my pretty house to go to an ugly house. But there are advantages to moving on base. I DO know the second house is out of the question so the only decision is stay in my house or move to the tower.

I will tell you of my final choice.

1 comment:

  1. I think I would probably move. I would have to accept that the tower would not be as good, but it would free up a good sum of money which could be used to travel or buy interesting things.

    ReplyDelete