Pages

Wednesday, February 04, 2026

21 Years a Citizen

 

Teaching is more difficult when your students are absent. Championship season takes my students away. This week it is wrestling in Germany. Next week it is basketball and cheer leading in Germany. I only have a couple of boys that will be gone but I have several girls that participate in cheer.

To make matters more difficult, Monday is an in service day for teachers and Friday is a school holiday. I suppose it could be more complicated. Besides, only a teacher could com[lain of time off, right? Lol

Today is the anniversary of my naturalization as a citizen of the US. I have been a citizen for 21 years and it still bothers me that some try to insist I accept the name Chinese-American. I am no longer Chinese. I am strictly American. I remain of Chinese ancestry of course but that is the part that is put into the mixing bowl to enrich the nation as a whole. I do not understand immigrants that insist to hold on to their original country of origin.

All of the immigration uproar at home causes me some concern as I plan a trip home this summer. I have heard the horror stories of an out of control ICE but dismiss most of it to being hyperbole. Still, most stories are based, at least in small part, on a kernel of truth. My answer is to carry my naturalization card and passport with me where ever I go and hope they are sufficient. They should be but then, I am told, the Navy wold descend on them with a vengeance.

Fortunately, I do not intend visiting an area with high ICE enforcement activity. The closest I will come to any is landing at the Portland airport. I plan a nice, quiet vacation with family and friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment