Spring Festival (Chinese New Year) is here. The official day is Tuesday but the observance begins today and it lasts for seven days. For those who are curious, it is the Year of the Horse.
Traditions are numerous. First (and to some the most important) is thoroughly cleaning the house. It is not a simple tidying up. Having dirt anywhere is considered bad luck. Not that it brings bad luck but prohibits luck from coming into the house. Since my house now is a minimalist style, this is no as difficult as it was in previous years. When I bought my house, the first year was miserable to clean.
Another is hanging Duilian on the door posts. Duilian are red banners with poems written on them that express happiness and hopeful thoughts for the coming year.
We will also hang red lanterns in our courtyard. You have probably determined by now that red is a lucky color in China. My wedding was red (that confused some family members lol). No Chinese bride would not have red in her wedding. We will also have extra green plants around since they symbolize wealth and good fortune.
I have also decided to give hongbao to not only my children but to my students also. I thought to introduce a small amount of Chinese customs to my students. Hongbao are small red envelopes that contain gifts, such as money or sweets. My students will receive envelopes containing chocolate coins. My children will receive money. I only have not decided if it will be Dollars or Euros. They will be happy with either I think. That they will have their extra money is all that is considered.
The Chinese population in Spain is actually quite large so there are festivities planned for the community at large. We will again spend the daay watching a parade and dragon dances while enjoying food booths offering traditional festival foods.
I believe it will be an enjoyable holiday this year. It will be our last so we will make of it what we can.
春节快乐 Happy Spring Festival, everyone!



No comments:
Post a Comment