Pages

Friday, March 28, 2025

What Would Surprise Me?

 

Kristin, over at Going Country, posted this question to her readers.

She asked, “What about your current life would be the most surprising to a younger you?” What a perfect question. It made me think. I love questions that make me think.


As a young girl, I did not dream of becoming an American. I did think of visiting it someday. After all, in my native language it is commonly called 美国 (meiguo) or “The Beautiful Country.” Who would not wish to visit a country so named? Since I immigrated and became a citizen I am called 美国人 (měiguó rén). It was not something planned or dreamed of. It simply occurred.


I am a Doctor of Computer Science. That of itself is not so surprising. Since I was raised with an emphasis on education, it is reasonable to expect that I pursued it. Early, I had a knack for all things computer so of course, that was the direction of my education. Since I was learning my occupation, I wanted to know all I could learn of it.


I dreamed of being a mother. That dream has been fulfilled. I have three children. That is not surprising but it did lead to teaching. That would surprise a younger me. I would not have thought of how satisfying it would be for me. I was introduced during my doctoral studies. Medical doctors do residency, Computer doctors teach so I became staff at Tokyo University. As my children began attending school, I found my schedule to be conflicting with raising my children so I acquired my credentials and began teaching in the high school on base. I loved it. So much so that I believe my younger self would be far beyond surprised at how much I love it.


I think another surprise would be how much I have traveled. Young me thought of traveling little. I did go to Vietnam and Hong Kong so it is not that I had not traveled some. Now my travels include Japan, South Korea, Spain, France, and Italy. Later this summer I plan to add England and Germany to the list. I never dreamed of traveling so much.


The biggest surprise for a younger me is that I am a naval officer's wife. This is a big thing. It is common to marry a common soldier. It is prestigious to marry an officer. It is more prestigious to be married to a ship's captain. I am the latter. I do find a small bit of evil joy reminding my brother's wife of this when I visit Mother and Father since she is so pretentious and it humbles her just a bit.


There are many small surprises but the question was what would most surprise. The biggest surprise of all is the very blessed life I have lived so far. It has not been perfect, but the hilltops have been much higher than the valleys have been deep.


1 comment:

  1. What a great, thoughtful answer. I especially like your very last sentence.

    ReplyDelete