Deployments are predictable. As far as anything is predictable in the Navy anyway. I must seek out ways to use my time to prevent me from being too bored.
I am thankful that there is Su that is with me all day, but her naps leave alone time that needs to be occupied with something. Chao lei and Jun are in school all day.
I have a dance class on Thursdays. I enjoy it very much. It certainly uses up any extra energy I may have pent up. Chinese dances are active but Spanish dance is so energetic. I believe I can consider one lesson equal to time at a gym.
I often see what others post as their latest reading and find the titles and summaries interesting but a career in computer science does not allow one to rest. Computer science changes often; usually before the newest literature is printed. My latest read is, “A Common-Sense Guide to Data Structures and Algorithms.” I have tried to do more recreational reading. Really. I have. Occupational reading is a demanding little witch that is unafraid to claw back any time spent on other reading.
As I am attempting to establish myself as a cyber security consultant, my next book will be, “Hacking: The Art of Exploitation.” Understanding hacking is required to protect a system from it. I have the fundamentals but staying current is a necessity.
As you can see, my book titles are not nearly as attractive as most others. I am sure you are not about to rush right out and buy your copies but my reading must focus on what keeps my credentials current. My “light” reading has usually been student papers.
I believe I use my free time well. Boredom is not a problem, though I do experience it now and then.
Nope, for sure not going to rush right out for those books, but good for you for keeping current in your field with everything else going on in your life right now.
ReplyDelete