I thought I had at least ten years before dealing with it. I was wrong.
Yesterday after school, Chao lei, June and I stopped at the park for a little play time. It was not the greatest of days as far as weather goes with intermittent rain. We enjoyed at least 45 minutes before it began raining again at which point I began ushering the children to the car. Chao lei was eager to get out of the rain.
June was not.
She was resolute in her refusal to get into the car. No amount of pleading or coercion would get her in. Left with no other choice, and with the rain becoming more drenching the longer we were out, I went to June, led her to the car by her hand and placed, nay, forced, her into the car, screaming and crying. Then she said it.
"Mom! You are the worst mother ever!"
Though it is usually discounted as age and thus a lack of ways to deal with frustration and while, as an adult, that is understood, it is no less a shock to the heart. I thought to get angry of it but quickly rejected that. Instead, I just let the hurt sit on my heart for a moment and moved on... pretty much.
She really did not understand what it was she said. She was merely responding the only way she could think of. That is what I tell myself to keep from crying. Meanwhile, I must teach her how inappropriate her behavior was. I am afraid Jared's response to the disrespect would not have been as quiet as mine was. Not that he is prone to angry outbursts. He is only accustomed to respect going both directions and will correct disrespect quickly.
I know more will come as they age. I only hope to teach them of the hurt words can inflict and to measure the words they use. It is ok for them to be displeased but it is not ok to inflict hurt because you did not get your way.
No comments:
Post a Comment