Pages

Saturday, April 08, 2023

Mini Vacation

 I am happy to have gotten some type of vacation but I do envy those who have gotten weeks for theirs. Oh well. You take what you can get. How good a vacation is depends on how you see it. Mine was wonderful.

Our time in Fukuoka a wonderful, peaceful time. We had a list of places to see but after we arrived we decided to be relaxed and not rush around to those places on our list and enjoy each place as we visited. I am so happy we did it that way.

Our first stop was Dazafu-Tenman gu. It is a shrine dedicated to Tenjin, the deity of learning, culture, and the arts. It haas existed for more than a millennia. There are over 10,000 other shrines to Tenjin across Japan but this one is the chief shrine.


The entry is most beautiful. In my opinion, it outshines the shrine itself. It almost seems as if the first impression is most important. It is one of the few places you can visit it inside and out. It is a gate after all.


The shrine itself is dark, which is in stark contrast to the rest of the shrine's buildings. Still, it is a beautiful, centuries old building. there are other museums dotted around the grounds where you see art from centuries ago and more contemporary art.


Walking the grounds was our main objective. The museums would have been interesting to explore but we wanted to walk the shrine. Since it is so vast, there was little time to explore the art.


Prayers are everywhere. You can tell the season by the color of paper they are written on. Curiosity ALMOST compels a person to take one and read it just to discover what they are praying for. I would assume it would be for being a good student or artist.

It is easy to find the shrine but remember, there is no parking at the shrine. There is paid parking but it is extremely limited. Ask and a thousand people will give directions. There is no entry fee to the shrine but most of the museums  and other concessions charge a fee. Bring plenty of Yen because these fees add up quickly.

One of my favorite dining spots is not too far from the shrine. To dine here, you must be prepared for the occasional swoop past your head. This place is named "The Misa Hakata Owl Cafe." Yes, I said owl and cafe in the same sentence. 


At this cafe they have many owls. They are all very friendly. It is even allowed that you pet them and hold them.


Sometimes, you hold them whether you wish to or not.


Personally, my head seemed a perfect landing spot for one of the owls. You do have to hold steady though. They care for the owls talons but they cannot blunt them completely. But if you are up for a great head scratch...


It was a fun meal time, I must say. June kept the owls away by squealing as she does. That served as a "Go away Owl!" warning system.

There is more to show of other days. I will share that soon but for now, lunch is over and students call.

1 comment:

  1. I have a slighly irrational fear of birds, and would not be happy with an owl on my head. I'm sticking close to June, so she can scare them away for me. :-)

    ReplyDelete