Pages

Thursday, July 28, 2022

First Real Underway... So far

Insomnia is not fun. Fortunately, it has not been so bad this time. I spent a few days with little to no sleep but it seems to be easing. I have not returned to "my head on the pillow and I am asleep" yet but at the least it is only  an hour or so before I sleep now. I opted to go medicine free this time since all the times before were with sleep medications that rarely worked as advertised. They always seemed to begin working as I had to begin my day, making my day miserable. The best sleep I would get was a cat nap now and then. Until there were children that is. Then it was nap when they did and wake when they did. That was never long enough. lol Now with Jared being underway, I do not get his snuggles to help me sleep. Not that they did very much but why would I turn him away when he offered?

Speaking of Jared, he is underway. So far he is away for only a week but his return is, as usual, unknown. I am informed it is the usual mission of sailing around with no specific task at hand. Of course, anyone with a globe knows it is likely "Freedom of Navigation" exercises since they were in the Brunei area recently. To get there requires transiting the South China Sea. And we all know the PRC tends to claim almost all of it is their territorial waters. These do not give me anxiety as much as them sailing in the Gulf. China is many things but stupid is not one of them. They will harass but not attack. Jared's ship could reply rather to forcefully to any Chinese provocation. 

On the child front, Jun makes mommy happy. Most of the time. She follows me everywhere. She seems to like everything I like. I am required to be specific with her though. She will do exactly what I say. When she is going to eat something she likes and I tell her to get a bowl, she gets one. The biggest one. Same for the spoon. I have to tell her she is not permitted to do something until I tell her she may else she only waits for some time to pass then do as she wished. "But I waited until later, Mommy."

Chao lei has come to listen to Jared's "music." Not all of it is horrible. There is some I can listen to without wanting to throw the listener out of the house. I wish Chao lei was as eclectic in his music as Jun. How a nine year old boy enjoys 40 year old music is beyond me. I try to introduce him to good music but to no avail. My only recourse is to make him wear headphones or ear buds.

Our outdoor adventures have been more frequent this year. Out latest hike was to Jinmuji temple. It is not a difficult hike but does have its challenges. I suppose one would call it a moderate trail that is about 7.5 kilometers so it only takes a couple of hours to hike. That suits Chao lei. It is long enough to challenge him but not long enough to bore him. I miss the days of him filling our pockets with little pieces of treasure. He has left that to Jun. I have decided we will hike to Hosshoji Temple next. I am told it is shorter but a little more challenging.

No comments:

Post a Comment