Pages

Tuesday, July 12, 2022

#1 Has Begun!

Jared's first underway as captain has been accomplished. To be honest, it was somewhat of an anticlimactic event. At the change of command, there was much pomp to be seen. For his first launch, nothing. I do not know what I was expecting to see at the launch but I did expect to see SOMEthing. It looked no different to any other launch. 

I admit too that the change of command was not as I expected either. They spoke of the outgoing captain's accomplishments and then of Jared's qualifications to assume command. The admiral spoke and congratulated the outgoing captain and the incoming captain. 

Being the only Chinese-American woman present, the receiving line was somewhat intimidating. There I stood in a long line of white people dressed in WHITE! The dress whites are the best looking uniform but when you are not dressed in white (and you are not white) it feels a bit awkward. I did not think my choice if informal wear was a bad choice until we entered the room. I was in a dark blue blouson dress... among that sea of white. I could easily be found anywhere in the room, even with my short stature. I know this because in some of the official photos, I am plainly seen almost as if I was attempting to be in a majority of them. Jared said I looked beautiful but that is his job to say to stop my fretting. 

Change of Command accomplished, they got underway two days later. It was a short one before they returned to port. Now I suppose the Navy is letting him settle in? They will have the ship leave soon enough. The difference of now and his last ship, he will know approximate sailing times in advance. How much advance? Who knows and I am not permitted to say in any case. I am imagining it will be no different from any other underway except he will always be the first onboard and the last to leave the deck. Now I wait to see if he will be here for our anniversary. 

I have also come to a startling realization. Jared is approaching retirement eligibility. Combining USCG and USN service, his TIS is 17 years. I have not heard him speak of retirement but I wonder if it has even been a brief thought in his mind. I doubt it. He loves the Navy. As for me,I have thought of when he will retire and what we will do. 

He does seem fond of reminding me I am eligible to claim half of his retirement should we divorce. What is wrong with him? Does he not know that I can remain married to him and wait for him to die and get all of it? Besides, who else would put up with his nonsense?

1 comment:

  1. Ryan makes the same comments regarding divorce haha it's their sick sense of humor! For what it's worth though, I'm sure you looked gorgeous, Mei!

    ReplyDelete