Pages

Wednesday, March 10, 2021

Update On Selling

 I thought it wise to approach a real estate agent so someone with experience could help guide me through a sale. Apparently the agent I contacted decided I wished for her to sell it so she listed it. No harm is done other than causing the family currently living there to panic. At the least, I know what the current selling rate is. I bought my house for $175k. It has the house, barn and pastures. According to the agent, a market study shows the value to be $420k. This news shocked me.

My panicked tenants called and asked if I was selling the house out from under them. I explained that of course I am not. This was simply a misunderstanding of the agent of what I had requested. It seems my English remains insufficient.Upon them insisting they would pay fair market price I told them what the agent had said. The phone was silent for a time. It is too much for them. I explained, I have not yet decided to sell. I only asked a realtor for guidance should I decide to sell it. 

Since my tenants insist to pay market, I am inclined to not sell and continue the current arrangement until such time as they can afford it. A good thing of not selling now is that the mortgage will be paid in full in five years so I will have a considerable sum to reinvest in another house should I sell.

I will not pretend that I am not tempted though. In the short time it was listed, I received 5 offers with each offering more than the previous. If I was selling, I would be enjoying a seller's dream of a bidding war. I am not in a position to NEED to sell so I will renew the current family's lease for another year. We can consider this again in another year.

2 comments:

  1. Oh wow! That's amazing your home will be paid in five years! I'm glad you're in this position, Mei!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I followed advice of a 15 year fixed mortgage. I was single with no children so it made sense.

      Delete