Pages

Monday, August 26, 2019

Journey to Lake Okutama, Schools Begin

Jared and I decided a trip to Lake Okutama was in order. It was one of our favorite places to visit during the last tour. I see no reason why it should not be this time.
Our first stop was to get refreshments. It is a long drive. It was hot. This store has a large selection of things to buy. One must be careful of what they buy. It is easy to spend too much since this place is so close to the highway and prices are set for tourists. Still, it is interesting the things you can find here. I have always been curious who developed this name for a drink.
After getting our drinks we set out for our walk in the forest. To get there, one can drive around the lake but what fun is there in that? We decided to cross the lake on the foot bridge.
It is not too long of a walk but it adds to the experience. There is a longer bridge you could cross but it does not end where our hike was to begin. Having a small person with shorter legs with you causes you to keep things as close together as possible; unless you enjoy hear complaints of feet hurting and being tired.

It is worth the walk. It is peaceful. It has something that is rare in Japan when one is outside. It is quiet. One almost feels guilt for making any kind of noise. As we met others on the trail we passed in reverent silence only exchanging a light version of the customary bow.

It is sometimes difficult to return to hustle and bustle of our usual life after visiting here. I will seek this place often. Chao lei enjoyed this place too. It was and endless supply of interesting things for him. I must bring a bag of some kind bag to bring it all home for him next time. This time my hands were too full and Jared was required to carry some of his son's treaures.

It is good to have had this adventure at this time. Chao lei began first grade yesterday. If I am to judge by his excitement when he returned home, he enjoyed it very much. I believe it was far more traumatic for me than him. I spent the day with small moments of panic when I could not locate him despite the fact I took him to school. I am unaccustomed to a quiet day. 

My silent days will end soon enough. University begins tomorrow so I will have two days per week, at the least, of students of my own. They will have their own questions and comments to fill my day. I only hope there are fewer of what I termed "schedule challenged" students this term. It never ceased to surprise me how unorganized and time foolish what otherwise intelligent  students could be.

So we begin this part of our adventure. Schools begin and deployment looms. We will survive. lol





No comments:

Post a Comment