Pages

Wednesday, April 02, 2014

April Fools

I admit I did not completely understand April Fools Day. Lt takes great delight in tormenting me on that day. I find myself beginning to dread the arrival imagining what he will do each year.
I began my morning with a customary shower. It was not as customary as I thought it would be. It seems Lt thought me to require "flavoring." As I began to awake in the nice hot water I noticed an aroma I thought was him preparing breakfast. It was strong but I thought nothing of it. Then I noticed the smell was getting stronger. I noticed the water changing color. Chicken bouillon does not smell near so tasty when you are showering in it. Lt had placed cubes in the shower head.Grrr.


I have humor. It was a joke. Now we can continue our day... Right?

As I prepared Lt's breakfast I very carefully checked every cabinet and drawer I opened to be sure I would not be caught again. All he did was sit there and smile at me. I am unsure which is worse. The joke or the anticipation of the joke. His smile told me there was sure to be more. It is unusual for me to wish for him to be gone as soon as possible. I fixed a wary eye on him until he left but he unnerved me such that I found myself trembling slightly. Finally gone, I began to relax.

I retreated to my computer to answer last minute e-mails before beginning my day. It seems the joke was set to a delay. I found this only too late. I now know what my heart looks like and tastes like. Of course such a noise brought Chao lei to me to investigate the noise. Finding his mother on the floor trembling seemed to entertain him. I assume this is so due to his squeeling in delight. I fear there is much of his father in him and my future is one of much stress.

I promised Chao lei, Mother would have her vengeance. I began my plans in earnest. I sought advice from the craftiest people I know. It seems Lt has earned enemies, or at the least some seeking vengeance for past jokes, for this day as few were reluctant to assist me .

With my helpers assistance and since one good turn deserves another,  as Lt left his office we struck back. there was a danger in this that the wrong person entered before Lt discovered my gift so we carefully informed all those we found including the Captain (who by the way gave his blessings for each joke upon discovering my morning).

The results were better than I had hoped. When Lt returned to his office he brought with him a bowl of pretzels. Unless he ate them from the floor, and wherever else he scattered them, there was no snacking for him.

No. I was not finished. With the aid of a devious Petty Officer, his drawer was outfitted with a can of air freshener so when he opened the drawer it began spraying. Closing the drawer did not stop it, only the emptying of the can.

After having been witnessed placing marbles in his hub caps, a kind electricians mate offered to do "old school" and place some marbles in the ceiling of Lt's room aboard ship. It seems this comes from a favorite old Navy movie of the sailor. Lt will not know of this one until they are underway. When he does discover it and opens his ceiling, he will discover a note from me that says, "From Mei. I love you. You will not expect the next one. XOXO."

According to the Captain and others, Lt spent the next several hours anticipating the next joke. I am told his leaving for the day was quite entertaining. Not a word was spoken of it when he arrived home. He went to the bathroom and cleaned flour from my hair dryer. It was only fair to tell him to throw away the cream cheese speed stick and open a new one.

I believe I understand this day better now.

No comments:

Post a Comment