Pages

Friday, March 28, 2014

Home and Gone.

We have returned home. It is surprising how tired one can become while "relaxing." I suppose if I were honest of it, we spent little time relaxing. There were too many castles to see and tree houses to eat in.

The last one gained your attention. Yes? In Naha. there is a restaurant called Gajumaru. Interesting to see is it not? Of course, it is not a real tree but the sensation of it is probably no different than if it were. On a windy day, such as the one when we visited, if you sit still you can feel the entire restaurant sway in the breeze.

If you are easily breathless, entering the restaurant may challenge you. There is no elevator. There is only the spiral stairs .

The specialty of this restaurant is shabu-shabu. What is shabu-shabu you ask? Shabu-shabu is a meal that you cook at your table. Instead of a grill in the middle of the table like yakiniku, there is a glass-top cooking surface. Still, one must be careful as it is very hot. I found it humorous they even provided English instructions on how to eat this way. The choices are only of your type of shabu-shabu. The lunch choices were pork rib and chicken.

Since we were at the docks (why is it Navy people always go to docks?) we decided to see the fish markets. I was surprised at what I saw. Never have I seen a market that was as colorful as this one. More surprising, all colors were natural color of the fish.


Have you ever seen such color in a fish market? I wondered that people would even buy fish for fear of ruining the beauty.

Outside of the fish market was another small market that was for those less inclined to fish. It may be that it is not for the faint of heart though. Some things there may unsettle or even frighten some.



Yes. Those are real frogs made into coin purses.
This was Chao lei's favorite place. I believe it to be more the color that entranced him rather than the toys. He could not settle for only one or two. As we thought he decided for one, another would fall into his gaze and that is the one he now preferred.




 
It is surprising what some believe to be acceptable. According to the vendor, these frogs (yes, they are real) are very popular. Given the frequency Japanese girls were purchasing them, I must conclude he was not lying.





After the markets was Shuri Castle.
The entry is deceptive. When you first approach it seems only gray stone and trees. You must be patient though. You will be rewarded with much more colorful views soon.

If you are to visit, it is important to wear proper, comfortable shoes. The park is quite large. At the bottom there is a rest center in the event you become too tired. There is also a restaurant (which we discovered too late.).


This is the approach to the castle. It is what you will see moments before seeing the castle proper. We were fortunate the flowers had begun to bloom though we were told if we had waited only a few weeks, the colors would have been much brighter. It did not matter to me. I was impressed even with the muted colors.
This is the castle proper. It is a striking sight after passing through so much grey stone. What is interesting of it more than its age is that it survived the devastation of war. It seems America to great care to leave it intact even though the surrounding areas were completely destroyed. The pictures are astounding to me especially given the Japanese were not so careful with Chinese temples during that war.

It was a good week for us but as with all good things, it had to end. I wish it had not ended as it did. It ended with bad news, good new, and I am not sure news.

As we arrived home, Lt was sure to check in at which time he was informed they would get under way the following day. Bad news. Then he was given good news. It seems Lt will no longer be Lt but instead he will be LtCdr. He has received the promotion he hoped for. His "wetting-down" will be in June. I am informed I may not attend this particular ceremony. Not sure news? Lt will finish at least one more year here but our next home is a question. Lt has been told Pearl Harbor, Norfolk, and San Diego are all possibilities but others may present themselves. Lt hopes for Pearl Harbor.

It was an interesting end to the week. Now it is again Chao lei and I at home and Lt underway. The adventure continues!

1 comment:

  1. I was hoping you would share your vacation with us. Your pictures are beautiful! Learned some things here "thank you"!!

    ReplyDelete