Pages

Monday, July 22, 2013

Post Birthday...

At best, my birthday was unremarkable. I did nothing. Unless you consider caring for two sick babies.

First, the night before Lt began complaining of a sore stomach. I thought this to be due to too much curry. It is one of his favorites and he often overindulges when I prepare it. I gave him pepto and finished my evening rituals.

I was awakened at 3 am to the sounds of obvious distress and pleadings to God from the bathroom. As anybody would at 3 am, I investigated these sounds and found Lt clutching his stomach in obvious discomfort.

Have you ever found yourself unable to stop asking a stupid question even though you know it is stupid? "Are you well, Dear?" To quote one of the nieces... Duh! Lt was in too much discomfort to say anything in reply but his expression was clear enough to understand. After offering more pepto and his refusal of it I took him to sick call.

"I took him to sick call" would seem an easy task to accomplish. If you believe this then you have never attempted to do it with a 5 month old child at 5 am. Waking a baby out of their normal schedule is not recommended at the best of times. Waking a baby and discovering they are sick also only makes the effort more complicated.

"Just a stomach bug" they said. "Should be gone by tomorrow" they said. It was three days of ensuring I, or anything else, did not obstruct the path to the bathroom. I discovered Lt is adept at moving quickly through close spaces while avoiding the odd obstacle here and there.

I also did not know a five months baby could poop so much. And considering he ate only sporadically for those days, I wonder if I have been overfeeding him for there to be such a reserve. I was fortunate to complete his bath without him soiling the water.

A note: should your baby be sick with a "stomach bug" I do not recommend showering with them unless you are prepared for the consequences.

Three days later they are feeling better. Lt has returned to work. Little One has returned to smiling. It was now my turn. I confess, during Lt's sickness I occasionally giggled at the sounds coming from the bathroom. I will never again do such a thing.

I would gleefully experience labor again if it would replace the pain of this "stomach bug." Stomach bug my foot. I felt as if monsters were eating their way out of my stomach. It. was. merciless. Thank God for Saichiro and his daughter,Yumiko. After only one look to me he called his daughter to come help care for Lo. She arrived before Lt departed for his work and returned home only after dinner was prepared and Lt had returned.

I feel better now, though still unsettled. Lt promises a proper birthday celebration (though he had better do something soon). Lo has a doting mother rather than a sick one. Perhaps we have gotten "sick" out of our system before we go on holiday.

One can hope.

1 comment: