Pages

Saturday, September 08, 2007

Blackberries and Pies

I spent the afternoon picking blackberries with Cherry. (<--- that sounds funny!) I have many thorn pricks and scratches. My fingers are purple from berry juice. We picked enough to fill two 5 gallon buckets. I wondered what was to be done with so many berries.

I packaged some for my freezer so I may have them in winter with cereal but Mother Bing arrived shortly after we arrived home. She brought with her several cooking dishes, a very large bag of sugar, flour, and utensils. My surprise at her arrival was soon replaced by a very watery mouth. My kitchen soon smelled of things I had never smelled before but will attempt to recreate as often as possible.

As pies, cakes, and cobblers began to gather, Father Bing arrived with large quantities of ice cream and several nieces and nephews in tow. Even my Coastie arrived in time to enjoy our baking efforts. Though not so much mine since I kept close attention to what was done so I can do it again for myself. I did, however, use the serving spoon with much skill (usually to my own plate).

Now I am fat and my Coastie laughs and smiles at my protests. Of course, he does this now in the barn apartment where I can not hear it. There are 2 pies in the fridge and 3 in the freezer with another cobbler. What is the worst thing, I wish morning to come soon so I may have more!

I am doomed to become a purple balloon!

3 comments:

  1. Yum!
    I was just lamenting the fact that I let this Summer slip by without the tradition of blackberry picking/ cobbler baking!
    Lucky you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you would be the prettiest purple balloon! i want to be one too, can i?

    ReplyDelete
  3. haphazardkat... I did not know so many yummy things could be made from blackberries. I had thought only of breakfast.

    aafrica... Thank you! I would be honored to have another purple balloon beside me so I am not the only one. Together we can squish those who laugh at us. :D

    ReplyDelete