Pages

Thursday, February 27, 2025

Another Question and More

 

It seems funny that with an upcoming deployment I was asked of the homecoming first. Now that it has been discussed, more questions arise from spouses that are new to this Navy life.

The next question I received was, “What will you miss the most during a deployment?”

The obvious answer is I will miss my husband the most. I will miss snuggling with him at night. I will miss the already made coffee in the morning. I will miss his breakfast dishes in the sink. I will miss our conversations. It is not that simple of an answer though.

As I pondered what I would really miss the most, it came to me like darkness comes after you turn off the light. It is a dark thing to ponder. I realized that what I will miss the most is everyday life. The irritating, annoying, sweet and wonderful. Every moment of it.

It is the normal way of living in the Navy, but it is not something you just get used to. You never get used to it. Well, I do not. You do, however, learn coping skills to help you get through it until he returns to you again and you go back to the life where you irritate and love each other all in the same breath. You get back to your everyday life knowing that you will do it all over again soon.

It will end one day. Jared is approaching retirement eligibility, but I do not anticipate he will resign any time soon. He already anticipates his next command. My normal will not change for some time I believe.

Meanwhile on the home front…

Chao lei had his first “date.” They had a “fancy dinner” at school and Chao lei asked his friend if she would sit with him at the dinner. In preparation for that event, Jared had a conversation with Chao lei about relationships when things suddenly got silent. Chao lei’s sense of humor showed up.

Chao lei: Ah. Awkward silence. We meet again.

Before he left for his evening, he was looking for his money and was patting himself down looking for it when he suddenly stopped and sang.

Chao lei: Hey, Macarena!

Jun is due for some instruction on proper conflict resolution. The other day I had to intervene in a disagreement between her and her brother.

 Chao lei: Mom! Jun threw her underwear at me!

Jun: I thew my underwear at him because he hurt my feelings.

Me: Jun. Do not throw your underwear at people for any reason.

Jun: Well, I have never done it before, so I wanted to try it.

*Facepalm*

And her never ending jabs at me,

Jun: Mom, your breath stinks. Have you ever thought of freshening your nose breath?

I am thankful that Su is not yet skilled enough to add to all of this yet.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing! Jun is hilarious. ☺

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kids and the things they say are just so funny, Mei! I love it! Deployments literally never get easier, do they? You rock them though! How much longer do y'all have in?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have 18 months before eligibility but there is not even a hint of desire from Jared to do so.

      Delete