Each year at about this time I review my year. I believe it helps me to remember things to be thankful for and to see my progress through this life. This will be another recap.
I began the year pregnant. Unknown at the time I was pregnant with twins, but I did not know that until April. Up to that point, all was normal. We only knew of Su Zan who was growing into a healthy baby. During an ultrasound, the doctor saw the remains of the second baby. I did not know how to feel when the doctor told me. Do I mourn her? Am I being over dramatic? In the end, I decided my baby required a name so I could properly mourn her, so I named her Li Jing, or Beautiful Spirit in English.
At the beginning of the year, I discovered there was likely to be no teaching position at the schools in Rota. That was disappointing news for me as I had discovered that I thoroughly enjoyed teaching high school in Yokosuka. I resigned myself to settling for being a sub when needed.
In March I lost my cat Yuki to kidney failure. She was 14 years old so we were expecting something to come up. We only hoped it would be an easier thing than she had. She died in my arms knowing she was loved.
Departing Yokosuka was bitter/sweet. Leaving my students was difficult but I eagerly anticipated a new place. In June, we boarded a flight that would take us home then on to Rota, Spain. Mind you, all this traveling was done while pregnant.
We have been settling very nicely here in Rota. I will admit that this base leaves me a little nervous since its area includes the middle east. In Japan, Jared sailed into the South China Sea, head-to-head with the Chinese navy but here were no shots exchanged. That is not so here. Ships have been fired upon. That is not something I want to hear. I have come to terms with the life the Navy affords me comes at a price. I do not have to care for it though.
Our Su Zan arrived on October 10th. Her arrival was blessed by the presence of her father. It was the first birth he was able to be there for. Chao lei and Jun are jealous of that fact.
I find I am pleased with our current assignment (aside from the occasional missiles launched at our ships).
It has been an interesting year filled with ups and downs. I look forward to another interesting year. I prefer them. Boring years are just… well… boring.
You endured so much last year! Sending you love as we enter 2025, xoxo
ReplyDeleteWhat a wild year for you, Mei! I'm so glad we got to follow along your journey, and I hope 2025 treats you to only the best!
ReplyDelete