Pages

Thursday, December 05, 2024

Interesting? You Decide.

 

There are some days that posts almost seem to write themselves. Then there are days like today that subject matter not as plentiful but here we go anyway.

I suppose our trip to Gibraltar is newsy enough. I did not expect the trip was essentially a day trip as we only had Saturday to tour.

First, may I say how disturbing it is to discover that a roadway crosses the airport’s runway? As we landed, I saw cars lined up at the side of the runway sitting behind traffic lights on what I discovered to be Winston Churchill Avenue. So what happens if someone fails to stop at the lights or ignores the barriers?

I suppose it is natural that a roadway is packed into what little area there is in Gibraltar. They must put the roads where they can. We have more roads at the base in Rota than they have there.

There are many languages spoken there with Llanito being the native language but English, Andalusian Spanish, Hebrew, Genoese and a few other Mediterranean languages are commonly spoken.

We enjoyed walking around town visiting the local historic attractions. The children enjoyed the dolphin watching tour. It seems they have flown enough that heights do not bother them. We rode the cable car to the top of the rock. It is not a long ride, only 5 or 6 minutes, but they were stuck to the windows watching everything.

The only negative thing about going to the top of the rock is the macaque monkeys. They are relentless. One should keep their bags where they can more easily protect them. They work zippers and snaps better than my children. We watched as one unzipped another person’s backpack and stole a bag of chips and a soda. And they opened the soda and drank it! It is funny to watch as somebody else is victimized by the monkeys, not so much when it is you. I lost a pack of crackers.

Jared is gone again. How long? Only the Navy knows. Where? I do not know. Given where we are and where the Navy goes, He keeps that to himself so I will not worry. The joke is on him. I worry anyway.

I am on the official substitute teacher list. It is not full-time teaching but at least it is teaching. I miss the classroom. I miss teaching and the relationships one develops with their students. In Japan, we enjoyed consecutive tours giving time to assume full time positions. Here in Spain, we do not. I should be satisfied with a substitute position since my time will be limited.

Suzan is doing well. I still am amazed how she is such a calm and happy baby. She is certainly not emulating her siblings at this stage. I will remain positive and believe this is who she is and not some temporary calmness.

Jun is obsessed with painting. She paints on anything she can find. We buy her canvases but she uses them sparingly saving them for the “important pictures.” One I hang on the living room wall. It is an abstract she called “Dolphin and Jelly.” I am her mother and perhaps a bit prejudiced but I believe it is very good.

Chao lei’s latest obsession is RC cars. He has long ago grown out of the cheap cars. He now spends large amounts of money on them. Well… his father and I do but he earns it with working at what I need done. He is surely serious about it since he participates in a racing league.

Jun and Chao lei prove to be excellent students of language. I still stumble in my use of Spanish but those two sound as native speakers. Jun still slips to her Japaspanglish now and then but recovers to the language she needs at the time when she notices the confused expressions on other’s faces.. I have become accustomed to it, so I am not so confused by it.

Christmas shopping is completed later this year than usual, but it is done. I may even have a husband at Christmas this year. The Belenes (Nativity Scene) are appearing everywhere already. They are meticulously crafted but appear as if no effort is expended to create them. There is no doubt as to what season it is. We have been invited to participate in our neighborhood’s Roscón de Reyes. It is a large doughnut that hides a secret surprise. Whoever finds the hidden figurine is crowned king or queen for the day. It promises to be fun.

I cannot be sure I would be displeased to do a COT (consecutive overseas tour) here in Spain. So far, it has been the most interesting and fun station we have been to.

OK. So there was more to write than I thought. I suppose one must only start writing to discover something to write. If you stayed long enough to read it all, thank you. It is long and uses minutes you cannot get back or helped you fall asleep. It is a little bit of my life though. It is more interesting in real life. Honest.

2 comments:

  1. Mei, how long are Navy tours? I know in Korea, our Army tour was 2 years, but if we go back, we plan to stay. Alaska was considered a COT because it's OCONUS. Such a strange life we lead! I'm glad you got on the substitute teacher list; I hope that fills your cup!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A command tour is usually two years though they may be extended at the "convenience of the Navy."

      Delete