I have been very busy these past days.
With the addition of Suzan, the pace has sped up some. Not that she is a difficult baby. Quite the contrary. She fusses very little and is generally a happy baby. I have not faced the trials that were common with Chao lei and Jun. It could be that is so because Chao lei is a dutiful brother that often gets to Suzan before I do and sees to her needs as well as he can but I do hear “Mom! Su is hungry!” often.
So far, I have not seen any jealousy arise from the older children concerning the baby. I have tried to stay aware of how I interact with them. I have also tried to refrain from placing undo responsibility on Chao lei. I do not wish for him to resent his sisters. I must remember he is an 11-year-old boy, which is sometimes easy to forget based on his behavior. He emulates his father and will assume responsibility for many things that are not his. I find I must encourage him to be a boy and not assume things that are not for his age.
Jun will be a good big sister. Already, she tries to dress Suzan in pretty clothes. I often find her choosing Su’s clothes “because they must be pretty enough” to face the day. That tummy time is a highlight of Su’s day is irrelevant. She is often found talking to Suzan, revealing her vast knowledge of fashion that she has spent the past four years accumulating.
Suzan spends very little time alone. If we are not directly interacting with her, she is in the room with other people doing her own thing be it sleeping or concentrating on the mobile over her. Of course, that is not much since she is only weeks old. I like to believe she is starting well.
So far, the addition to the family has resulted in few disturbances. Chao lei and Jun seem to be adjusting well. Even Jared has been home for this last month (though that is to change soon).
To escape the rain, we plan to go visit Gibraltar this weekend. A good trip before he returns to sea. It will be interesting to see what difficulties there are. It will help me prepare for Jared-less trips with the children. I have decided that having no husband about will not prevent us from experiencing Spain. I will reserve the rest of Europe for when he is here.
I heard a rumor of a potential position at the high school on base. I have made my prior experience with DoDEA and my availability known. Just in case 😉 They did express an interest in me subbing from time to time. I do miss teaching.
I believe we have found our groove; our new normal. We will likely be that annoying family always speaking of our latest adventure to some exotic city. We will be active tourists.
I'm glad you're finding your new normal, Mei! It's always an adjustment adding another family member, but it sounds like Suzan is an "easy" baby! So glad to hear you're doing well :)
ReplyDelete