Pages

Friday, December 15, 2023

Another Year Done... Almost.

 

It started as all years do, I suppose. Nothing really stood out except that I noticed a small lump in my throat. I did not pay it attention though until June became fixated on it. She constantly touched it and asked if it hurt. In the beginning, it did not hurt but with June’s constant rubbing it began to be an issue, so I scheduled an appointment. It turned out to be thyroid cancer. I ended up losing all of my thyroid and 2 para-thyroids. Now, I am cancer free. Who knew my thyroid was my internal thermostat, though? I am always cold... except when I am not. I have never been fond of cold but now I shiver at 70° but feel roasted at 73°. It is a constant battle to find the happy median.

In April, Jared was home  while the ship went through a maintenance avail so we took a mini-vacation to Fukuoka. It was short but so needed for us. Doing something as a family was wonderful but awkward at the same time. Awkward because I had to give up control of many things I am accustomed to controlling. Considering the input from Jared on many of the small decisions just felt odd. I bit my tongue often.

I finished my first year as a high school teacher. I do not regret my decision to leave the university to teach teenagers. It has challenges but it is a fulfilling occupation. An additional benefit is I see my children every day. Sometimes I believe they do not enjoy that as much as I do. Chao lei wishes for no more hugs at the drop-off. Good luck with that little man. June still cheerfully hugs me. I also participate in their education a bit more than before. I get to go to their conferences like a normal parent does.

We do not wait for Jared for everything. As soon as school was dismissed for summer break, I decided to take the children, minus their father since once again he was gone, to see their grandparents. It had been some time since either of my parents last visited and June had no idea who they were. Mother was there when June was born but left shortly after. It felt strange to me to return to the house I grew up in after so many years and to show my children where I grew up. Things were so familiar yet so foreign to me.  They even slept in my childhood bed. Well, Chao lei did. It did not take long for June to attach herself to her grandmother, including invading her bed most nights. Mother did not seem to mind. More importantly, neither did Father. Who is this man that claims to be my father?

We returned home to discover Jared had returned ahead of schedule. I think he was jealous of our trip when he discovered that father had spent much time with Chao lei so he took him to his first sporting event. I suppose it was some time to make up for his frequent absences. They went to a baseball game in Yokosuka and now, Chao lei is hooked. I get to attend many games too. Not by choice mind you but someone must take him to the games. Which sport is not important, only that it is live. He is like me in that respect. Watching sports on tv is boring. Watching it live is exciting. But not golf. For Chao lei, golf is too boring even when going to play with his father. “I would rather watch paint dry,” he says. He does enjoy playing soccer.

I am in my second year of teaching high school, but I had better enjoy it while I can. Our next assignment has been confirmed and it is NAVSTA Rota, Spain. It is not my preference. I would have preferred a CONUS assignment but the Navy does not ask for my input. It was just another assignment until... The ship in the Red Sea that has had missiles launched at them is home ported in Rota. Oh joy. There is tension in the South China Sea but at least the Chinese Navy is not shooting at American ships. I do not look forward to yet another thing to think of when Jared is at sea.

A disappointment is already known for me. There are no planned vacancies for school staff when I arrive. Currently, the best I may hope for is substitute teaching. Yay. Glorified babysitting. But who knows what will happen between now and then. Jared’s report date is the end of June so school will just be out for summer break. This mean we will travel together but time is important. A slow meandering trip to Spain is not to be. I will see three days at home then off we go. It is better than nothing.  As it is, the current captain’s wife is going to begin the planning of the change of command reception for me. That is not until later in July, but planning takes time. I will finalize the plans.

All things considered, It has been a good year. I have no reason to believe next year will be any different.

1 comment: