Students are down to two half days of school. The environment is electric. Fortunately, for them and me, their half-days are to review their final exams. Any instruction would be near impossible. It is difficult enough to teach them when it is bright and sunny out. Two days of school remaining? Forget it. Even the rain does not dampen their excitement for summer break.
Me? I have three days until summer break. Friday will begin my 68-day weekend. I will accomplish what I am able for next year, so I have as much time as possible to spend with my children this summer. Sixty-eight days is not so much time as it seems and depending on ship sailings, I anticipate much of it will be me and the children only (thank you PRC). I suppose I should be accustomed to traveling without him by now. I do not have to enjoy it though.
Jared has begun talking about our next assignment already. He has been talking to his detailer. It is normal since we have at the least 12 months. That is allot less time than it seems when it concerns a PCS. I am hoping for a CONUS assignment but anticipating the Navy is not something I excel at. I am excited for the idea of moving to a different place. At the same time, I dread it. Thinning accumulated things… again. Packing up what remains… again. Saying goodbye to friends… again. Arriving in a new place with nothing… again. Starting over… again. Despite what some say, you never get used to all the “agains.” At least, I do not. I only expect them, deal with them, and move forward. Then I allow myself to enjoy the excitement of a new place to explore.
Shockingly, there have even been whispers of retirement. After completing this assignment, Jared has only 2 years to be eligible for it. I will admit surprise of this idea. I cannot imagine him being anything but navy. What would he do outside of the navy? Recent changes in commands may be the reason it has been brought up. I will not think of this as a serious consideration on his part. Not yet.
June continues her questioning of the calendar arrangement. Yesterday, she asked me, “What if every day was the weekend?” Then she ran off to play. What about the calendar disturbs her so?
She also reminds me I am teaching her with every moment so care must be exercised in every interaction with her. Sometimes I just need a minute to myself, so I tell the children that I need some mommy time. It is only a few minutes to breath. June, especially, has not cared for those times. She whines about it, so I ask her, ‘Do you want a happy mother or a mad mother?’ She says happy mother and goes to play. Then this happened a couple of nights ago:
· Me: “It is time for dinner.”
· June: “I just need some juice. I had a hard day, and I need some June time.”
· Me: “June, please, sit down.”
· June: “Do you want a happy June or a mad June?”
It is difficult at times to stay serious with her. I definitely “needed a minute” after that. I finally convinced her that she could have “June time” after dinner. Now I shudder for the next time I need mommy time and her response to that. We will see.
Summer is here. Our last one in Japan. It is now time to mark a few more things off the list of places to visit. We will make the best of it we can in the time we have left.
So close to retirement! That's amazing! Ryan's just five years from retirement, which is crazy to me! It goes fast (and slow haha) I can't wait to see what you get next!
ReplyDelete