It is surprising that the school year is almost finished already. I lose my seniors next week. There graduation is the 26th. The rest are finished for the year in three weeks.
It has been settling to discover that teaching teenagers is not so different from teaching university students. Teenagers are trying to discover their independence and what being an adult is. University students are exercising their newfound independence but are still trying to discover exactly how to be an adult. Educationally, all one must do for either group is to keep them focused and on task. It sounds easy, yes? Pffftt
I do believe now that changing to high school teaching was a wise idea. The primary reason is I am home with my family. Teaching at the university required commuting which took six additional hours of each teaching day. The crowded trains did not help, and early departures and late returns robbed me of time with my children. I had no desire to be a weekend parent. It is bad enough that their father is gone so much. Now we travel to school and return together. It is a much better arrangement.
I believe that when we PCS, I will look to teaching at another high school, maybe even a middle school. If our next billet is CONUS, perhaps a college or university will do but I have my preference for earlier schools than university. I have been able to develop relationships with my students in high school. It is easier to teach when there is a friendly environment. I felt a disconnect with students in university. Business relationship. If I wanted that I would start a business. Teenagers, if there is a good relationship, tend to learn better, at least from what I have learned from this year compared to earlier years.
There is a satisfaction with students who do well. There was some at the university too but it was more business-like. At the high school level, it feels as if I am more invested in their future. It is more personal. I learn who my students are. I learn their personalities. I have my class clown. I have my “smart” one, which is odd to say since I teach AP classes, yet I have my “Sheldon.” I often think my class is much like the characters in the movie “Inside Out” with only Anger missing most of the time. I enjoy observing my versions of “Disgust” trying to seem disconnected but still worried about their performance. I am sad watching my versions of “Sadness.” I can only encourage my versions of “Fear.”
I have found my niche. I get joy from teaching. Being liked by students is nice. Earning their respect and trust is better. I experience a diverse world through my students. They can come to school from various socioeconomic backgrounds, ethnic backgrounds, disabilities, and abilities. I can help my little group of “Fears” build self-esteem and believe in themselves and their ability to learn. I can encourage them to dream. Dreams lead to big ideas which can lead to innovations and changes for the future. I get to try to get my students to think beyond their comfort zones and challenge them to reach their fullest potential.
I work to prove that one person can make a difference. I cannot teach every child in the world, but I can make a difference for the ones that I do teach. I hope the impact I have on their lives will stay with them throughout their years of schooling and beyond. I hope I have at least had some impact on helping them to be healthy, productive, and successful adults.
No comments:
Post a Comment