Pages

Thursday, April 14, 2022

Is It Too Late?

Can I not do this "Captain's Wife" thing? There is much to remember and much to do. My head still hurts from so much information being introduced to it. Thankfully, I was gifted with many manuals and pamphlets to remind me of the information I received. I was rather intimidated by the stacks of booklets and brochures on the tables as we entered the meeting place. No one could remember it all from the first time hearing it. I brought a 2,000 page notebook with me. It was not enough. Do you know how difficult it is determining even which language notes should be taken in? Mine looks as if it was written by someone with multiple personalities; part in English, part in Mandarin, and part illegible. Jared also has the information overload look to his face from his classes so at the least, I am not alone in that.

I suppose all I may do now is begin rearranging to suit the new life. Dorothy thought I was an inconvenient distraction before? I can only think of how much worse she will believe me to be now. I will also need to mine much information from the current captain's wife.....errr, spouse. I discovered spouse has become the preferred term. I suppose "dependant" is unfavorable because too many "spouses" do not care for it to be insinuated they are dependant on anyone.

Some things in the books I am already familiar with. I know how the FRG functions as well as the Ombudsman. Other things will require some study to become familiar with. It seems I will need to know every office on base and what they do so I am able to refer questions/needs of families to the proper office. I am told to expect yet resist being considered the de facto work around to the Navy system. Apparently, some believe a captain's spouse should be able to accomplish anything despite the Navy.

Being friendly with crew's families is expected. Being friends is discouraged. It seems the Navy does not trust my judgement is this. I understand this though. Much experience has probably developed this attitude and continually reinforces it. Who am I to assume I would be the exception? I know what my intentions would be, but I have never "been there, done that." As such, I will defer to the Navy way just to be sure.

Of all this, there is an extra bright spot. My brother's obnoxious wife is jealous that my husband is becoming a captain of a ship while hers is not becoming an executive soon. I say nothing because I love my brother and I know he performs his duties exceptionally. Perhaps his company questions his wisdom of what wife he chose also.

No comments:

Post a Comment