The preparation for the change of command has begun.
It seems this may be a complicated ordeal for me. The Navy has issued a handbook for spouses of sailors assuming command. It is not a leaflet but a real book. Not large but more than a few paragraphs. So, if you wonder of what I have been reading this month, it has been this handbook. It will require re-reading and much study.
I have also been scheduled to attend "Command Spouse Leadership Course" in the Naval Leadership and Ethics Center in Newport, Rhode Island. Most people use their spring break to get away from school. It seems I will be using mine to attend school. My impression from the description of the week is, it is much information given in a short amount of time, thus garnering the "intense" description. Jared will attend the CLC at the same time. We will deposit Chao lei and Jun with their grandparents.
The meetings have also begun between me and the leaving commander's wife. That seems logical to me. I too believe that seeking the advice of one who is experienced in whatever is your pursuit is wise. Since I have never been a captain's wife, my knowledge of the requirements and expectations are nil.
Until the Navy announces the CoC, I am unable to say what date it is to be held. I understand OPSEC. It seems it is not well practiced here since his current ship knows his departure date and his future ship knows when he assumes command. Even spouses know more than I do of the details. Even so, I do not understand the restriction. Saying when a ceremony is to be performed tells nothing of ship movements because a CoC can be performed at sea. It says nothing of a mission or deployment schedule, nor anything else that would reveal secrets. At least everything is normal because not understanding why the Navy does what it does IS normal.
Going by what is in the handbook, I believe it is good that I have made the change in positions. Being a teacher here on base will make me more available. My privacy is to be further reduced as my responsibilities are to increase.
Now I understand why they say when a sailor retires, the spouse is awarded a retirement certificate too.
Wait...so you're heading to Rhode Island for the course?! That's awesome! It seems leadership comes with many responsibilities from all parties involved, but I've no doubt you'll rock it!
ReplyDelete