Pages

Friday, October 08, 2021

Speaking of Reading…

 Given the subject matter and current controversies surround it, I have given students their midterms early so they may use what they find in the news to aid them in completing of the exams. The course is “Algorithms 2”

Some of the exams have begun coming in and I must say it worries me. Of the two exams I have read, one is… acceptable but is minimal. The second seems rushed with too many shortcuts and most certainly falls short of expectation

It is good, I believe, that I allowed such an early start to the exams. Students will have time to correct their shortcomings. Many, like paper one, will require only minor corrections leaving only a second read of their work. Others, like paper 2, will require beginning again or major corrections requiring me to reread them several times. 

These paper are 5,000 to 7,000 words at the minimum. Remember the saying though, expend minimum effort receive minimum reward. Even if all were to write 7,000 words only,  with a class of 47 students. That is 329,000 words to read to read every paper only once. That is 1880 pages of double spaced, times new Roman size 12pt, with headers, and a cover page (that does not count toward word/page count).

If you like, I can post samples of my reading. Lol

Now the ship is residing in the Philippine Sea. How accurate that is questionable. I was told of a program that can find any ship, any where and I installed it. That is where it shows the ship is now. Of course, the icon has not moved for several days. I’m told that means they have turned off the transponder. Given the delays, I am wondering if it is a good idea to have the app.

Chao lei is beginning to have issues with Jared not being home. He’s not misbehaving. He has sleep disturbances though. Someone had the brilliant idea to tell him the ship could have been sunk in the gulf. Had it been an adult that said such a cruel thing, I am not sure I could have remained civil. Since it was a child, I had no choice. I can only hope his mother teaches him better.

June seems to be doing well. Sometimes I wonder if she even knows Jared is her father. It is not as if she is not told about him. There are many pictures around the house for her to look at. Many with her in Jared’s arm. He speaks to her during every call. Still she seems unaffected by his absences. I worry sometimes of this. I pray her relationship does not suffer too much. At least Chao lei had time to establish a solid relationship with Jared when we lived in Pensacola.

Ugh. For their sakes at least, I hope this deployment ends soon.

2 comments:

  1. I cannot believe a child said that - breaks my heart!! I hope Jared is home safely soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sends to be soon. We're having welcome home sign making parties this week. 😁

      Delete