Jared is finally home! Twenty four weeks again.
The good thing of deployment is the welcome home party atmosphere on the dock as the ship ties up. Of course, we may start earlier since we have a clear view of the entrance to the port and can see the ship long before it actually arrives. As they arrive they “man the rails” dressed in their white uniforms while being greeted by ecstatic spouses and boisterous children. To use my friend’s phrase, Navy whites “Get my motor running.”
Chao lei charged his father as soon as he saw him. June held on to me at first but she did transfer to him without resistance… eventually. I had to settle for group hugs and kisses. I suppose I will get my hugs and kisses later.
For his homecoming dinner, I prepared two of his favorite foods, dumplings and sweet chili and orange chicken finished with almond jelly. I prepared very large portions for him since it is his habit to eat… a lot. I am left to contend with the burps and complaints of having eaten too much but after a long deployment, I welcome them. Noises and complaints are better than long absences any time.
Jared’s leave will begin Monday. We are to spend our week in the city of Fuji. There are many trails to hike, Oishi Park, an art museum, and many highly rated restaurants. We will spend the day out and about. The evenings will be spent relaxing.
Of course, what as become my “normal” is in upheaval again. I must release some control of the family. I must force some control to Jared. I see his eyes when the children come to me rather than him. I know that he knows what is happening then. It is what they are accustomed to doing. Still, I believe it pains him to be left out. I find I am becoming adept, very quickly, of telling them to ask their father. They will adjust.
We will return to a normal family… until the next time.
Hello Laoch! I am happy to see you here again.
ReplyDeleteI am so glad that he is home again, Mei! I hope you enjoy a bit of a "break" with your husband and partner back home!
ReplyDelete