Pages

Saturday, September 18, 2021

Getting Through It

I know there are many posts about deployment. I know there are many positive articles about deployment. Many are complete with craft projects to keep you busy and make you spend a ridiculous amount on chalk based paint and leave you with what was a perfectly good chest of drawers looking like something from Barbies Ikea Dream Palace.

 

There are also many articles written telling you to take up a hobby to fill your time such as learning French, going to the gym or other worthy self-improvement activity. I have even written about doing that.

 

After doing a couple of deployments following the above advice, I do have a bit of a problem with the practicality of its application.

Firstly- I do not have the time nor inclination to start disassembling furniture after I’ve said goodbye to the Commander. I may have the urge to disassemble furniture but that is mostly from rage and not through a new feeling of domestic pride or energy.

 

It does not fill me joy or a sense of satisfaction to sand and paint and sand and paint and venture into The Commander’s decor stuff to find a screw or Allen key in the pursuit of a home makeover.My clothes get ruined, the cat ends up covered in masking tape and I end up thinking never mind the whole thing I’m going to eat chocolate and watch TV.

 

Secondly- taking up a soul balancing, calm inducing hobby is a lot easier said than done.

I’ve found that after Jared has deployed, I don’t actually have that much extra time to myself.

 

It gets filled up quickly with having to do 100% of the life administration stuff overnight. Suddenly, I’m responsible for all bath times, lunches, clean clothes, healthy dinners AND breaking up a war that erupts in the living room over whose turn it is to watch Peppa Pig or The latest video about Roblox. Diplomacy takes a up a lot of my headspace during a deployment.

 

With all the above there is little time to learn French or anything else apart from the difference between Chardonnay and Sauvignon Blanc.

Gym? Hahaha! That involves running around after two toddlers and a crazy cat.

I do make sure to have something planned each weekend. Just something simple like meeting up for coffee with a friend or going to hell playing with the kids.Then one day is a pajama day and then we are back on the treadmill again.

 

Take it from me, grand designs are all well and good but they are just that: Designs.

Keep busy doing the everyday and you will get there.


My patented Wine and Chocolate on the sofa method has been tried and tested and is way more successful at keeping me sane, teaching me French AND I don’t have to go searching in the endless containers in his tool room to achieve it.

My home might not be dressed up to the T but it Is a place of everyday comfort. And that is what I need most when getting through a deployment.

 

So, I just gather my French study bottle, put Sabrina on Netflix and relax. I have got this.

 

1 comment:

  1. You've got this, Mei! It's so hard getting through deployment, but you honestly just do what you do to get through.

    ReplyDelete