It was pleasant having my husband go to work and come home at regular times. I deeply love my husband but he could drive me crazy sometimes always being underfoot. At times, I thought it would be wonderful if he took interest in a hobby that did not include me. I blame this thinking on our first tour in Japan. He was often gone. Though we had our routines, our greetings were never routine. In Pensacola, they sometimes were reduced to barely acknowledging the presence of the other. Happily it was not often but it did happen because he was there. Every day.
There is much to be said about shore duty. There are no underways to be endured. Since Jared was in school, there were no dangers of deployment. One can plan with certainty their family's activities. In all appearance, save the uniform, it resembles a normal civilian life. I did not much care for it.
I once complained that the Navy was not allowing us to adjust to married life when he was first on sea duty. They were always taking my husband away from me and forcing us to live single. I regretted Jared's move from the Coast Guard to the Navy sometimes since I was never asked what I thought of it. I had no reservations bragging of being married to a naval officer though. Yes, it was selfish thinking of me.
As strange as it may sound, I prefer sea duty. Not because I wish my husband gone. That is quite the contrary. Deployments and underways remain dreadful things and always will. Even now Jared is underway again for only the Navy knows how long this time and I miss him terribly. I have decided I prefer sea duty because neither of us takes the other for granted. We remain as interested in each other with the same enthusiasm as the day we married. Each homecoming is as a honeymoon, albeit with a child but that is what sitters are for. I know I do not neglect to greet him each time knowing he may depart again and very soon. I ensure he knows he is loved and appreciated.
I cannot imagine a life that does not include the Navy. I believe that, should new orders arrive in the future, I will dread the words "shore duty" as much as Jared. He will never hear me encourage an exit from the Navy (unless they condemn him to permanent shore duty for some reason then maybe. lol)
I love and totally agree with your perspective on this, Mei. I think that deployments, as hard as they are, are constants. Ryan and I actually talked about how we make the time to communicate. We specifically work to stay connected. Those things definitely aren't to be taken for granted.
ReplyDelete