I miss my old blog name. It helped to express my
difficulties in western life. I will not return to it as it still does not fit
who I am but still… Maybe I could write under a “Chines Living in English”
label. I believe that will work.
The struggle remains of connecting “Chinese” thoughts with
English words. I often take more time than others to make my thoughts clear and
still must ask for explanations to understand others. I have heard of my
dilemma being present in native English speakers but that generally means one
must travel some distance to another part of the nation such as from Oregon to
Maine. Even then, it is not the words used that become the struggle but rather
how the words are used.
Learning to speak English is difficult when one is learning
proper English. The difficulty is compounded when one must consider local
terminology and usage. Since arriving in America, I have had to learn proper
English, Oregon English, Florida English and US Navy English (thankfully, much
of that transfers to other military branches but it is not always the case). I
have attempted to instruct Jiao of the necessity of learning English well for
it is only the foundation of speaking it. There is much to add to it if one
wishes to communicate well.
I have decided I will miss Pensacola. They have been
accepting despite my difference of appearance and way of speaking. It serves to
highlight the difference of civilian life and military. My neighbors in
Pensacola seemed to universally care little of my ancestry and were mostly
patient with my accent. I am thankful Chao lei will not have an accent to
contend with.
My neighbors while living on base in Japan, while mostly
friendly, were not as open. I believe I understand why it was so. Stateside,
people assume you will always live there or, at the least, for an extended time.
It is easier to invest yourself in friendship believing the person will be where
you are for an indefinite time. Overseas, you know a person you meet will not
be there indefinitely and they will go to another station and you will likely
not see them again, or at the least you will not see them again for years. It
is not guaranteed that friendship is impossible. Only that it can be difficult.
I remain in contact with my friend Dorothy. We met in Japan.
Perhaps this will change with the improving communication
platforms we now have. Dorothy and I see each other often through Skype and
video calls. They have replaced our daily “coffee breaks” at Dunkin’ Donuts.
Speaking of Dorothy, she is returning to Japan also. Her
arrival will only be a few weeks after mine. We will only need to overcome that
intership rivalry I spoke of. lol Having an established friend so quickly causes me to approach this PCS with more positiveness.
Pensacola is a great place, my family lives close to there. :)
ReplyDelete