Mid-term exams are complete. My exam results are as I expected.
My students did not fare so well. I did have 5 students with A scores. Unfortunately, I had a 39% class failure rate. That is not to say they all received F's. That was only 21%. The university considers any score below 72.5% failing. After discussions with other instructors I have learned the failure rate in my class is normal. Data Structures/Algorithms Analysis is a third year course and should not be overly difficult so I am at a loss to explain such a high failure rate. Since I am assured my rate is no higher than any other I suppose I will accept it as the students' fault.
Chao Lei is talking very much now. Well... not talking, but making sounds. To watch him though, he seems confident he is saying something intelligent. Last night Lt stood him next to the table. It is something Little One enjoys doing. After Lt turned away he let go of the table. I launched myself across the table to catch him when he fell but he did not. It surprised both of us. He did not stand long but it seems he has learned sitting is better than falling. Am I able to count that as his first time standing? lol
Now we return to normal days. At the least for another 8 weeks. Then we will face finals. Oh boy. ◔_◔
I guess if my grading system followed a reasonable bell curve I would assume that it was reasonable.
ReplyDeleteIn the US the trend has been just not to fail people, regardless of their bad performance but I don't think that is doing them any favors in the long run.