Pages

Tuesday, November 09, 2010

Where to begin...

First I will say pictures will be posted elsewhere but a link will be available. There are too many to post here.

The wedding day was a full one. I awoke very early. As I discovered later, this was due to sleeping very well with the help of Mother who tampered with my tea. It seems she thinks all brides require "help" to sleep the night before she weds. She is very educated in Chinese herbs. The day for a bride is long already but mine began at 4:00am. Perhaps Mother should have waited a little later before serving me tea.

With little else to do I began preparing breakfast. I had forgotten how much ingredients are used for so many! In my house were Father, Mother, Jiao, my brothers Bingwen and Fuhua and their wives, 4 nephews, 3 nieces, and my best friend who thought it her duty to be with me all night in the event I required anything. I also forgot what labor was required to feed so many.I prepared congee and youtiao. It was simple fare but there were large amounts required if only for the nephews. I thought it proper to allow Jiao and Bao Yu to clean after.

After, the common preparations began. My hairdresser began her task. Since Mother did not hire her she felt her presence and directions were in constant need. Fortunately, I had informed my hairdresser that would be likely to happen and she should only worry of my approval and Mother was "background noise." She performed admirably.

The nail technician was hired by Mother. It was Mother who had influence in this area. Traditional nails were to be prepared. *sigh* I will say this... I bought nail clippers and after our departure.

It is good that I had assistance putting my dress on. With the nails, I would not have been able to accomplish this myself. My weakness for dumplings did not help either. The dress was tighter than I would have wished but at the least I did not explode out of it during the wedding. If I were honest, even my Coastie had some difficulty removing it intact later.

I think the red colors of the wedding were confusing to some. I found it necessary to explain that red is considered a lucky color and few Chinese brides would not have it included in their wedding.

There were no mishaps. Everyone in the wedding was there, on time, properly dressed, sober (under threat of punishment), and smiling. Aside from some decorations, I would say it was an ordinary wedding. Not that I say it was plain. It was my wedding unique to my Coastie and I. Only that everything went as planned.

The interesting part of the ceremony was our vows. The first were common. It is as everyone expected. My Coastie and I secretly arranged with the minister to also say our vows in Chinese. His family looked to be confused. My family could barely contain their surprise. We thought it appropriate to include both cultures as much as possible since we are neither Chinese nor American. We are together, both. And my Coastie performed perfectly his vows in Chinese. I am told he spent hours practicing.

The reception was wonderful. My fears of... uncomfortable... events were unfounded. Some became more jubilant than normal but it was a celebration after all. The caterer was outstanding. The food was well prepared and the wine was perfect for each dish.

I have never seen my father cry. In truth I did not see it now. What I did see was watery eyes and near constant wiping of them so that he would not be seen to cry. His voice cracked as he spoke his toast. I will not mention it to him. It is enough that I saw my father loves me. Mother could do nothing but cry. She was not alone in this. Mother Bing was beside her sharing her box of tissues. I am fortunate to have two such women in my life.

After the reception... well... it is enough you know we spent four days at the Whitman Hotel in Walla Walla before leaving for China.

I will finish with a question. Is it common that a man can work the zipper on his trousers each day with skill yet cannot work the zipper of a woman's dress without almost breaking it?

4 comments:

  1. I'm so glad your wedding was wonderful! Of course your father loves you, but your wedding day is usually the best time a daughter sees this.. I cannot wait to see the pictures! I am very happy your wedding reflected both of you. Your coastie must be a special man, to deserve you.
    And, yes, it is quite common that men cannot work zippers, or hooks, or laces on our clothing! I think it's because they are nervous.. they say it's because ours are more small and inconvenient.. hmmm
    hugs,
    Jean

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pfft. I think most likely the intent is to break the zipper so that you can no longer put the dress back on.

    I'm glad that you enjoyed your wedding and I'm looking forward to seeing photos. Also, please tell more stories. It's been too long.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! Thanks for telling us about your beautiful wedding with your Coastie :). Cant wait for the pictures! But you told your story so well i pictured it already in my mind.

    ReplyDelete