Life has been busy. I thought I would post updates for those who are interested.
Mother is still here and being a mother. It seems she believes I have forgotten what she has taught me and must now instruct me again. Most things I smile and nod as if it is suddenly recalled. Others are not so easy to do this. We do not argue of it but my feelings are well known. It is, after all, my house and not hers, though I have offered the barn to her on occasion.
Jiao will be allowed to come for the summer. She will arrive in June. The details will be given us at a later time. I have informed the "nieces" and they have begun excited planning of the summer's activities.
Mother and I have compromised over the ceremony. It will be a western style ceremony but I will wear traditional marriage dress. My Coastie has agreed to wear a Chinese groom's suit (is he not wonderful?). We will have the procession also.
My Coastie has insisted the reception be held at the base. I believe we will allow him this since he has been so good of the rest of the ideas of women.
I now must find a seamstress to make my dress. This has been a test of wills with mother. She insists only a "traditional Chinese seamstress" will be acceptable. I ask what is the difference if the dress is done well.
Mother has decided she will do my hair ritual.
It is funny that these plans all are made with no official date of the wedding! We prefer late spring or early summer. Mother insists it should be when the cherry blossoms bloom. Father only wishes to be told when to come.
I still smile a large smile. It is difficult to suppress my joy, even though it seems Mother certainly does her best to do so. I have been told I am "an easy touch" of late. I assume this is because I am easy to say yes. It is difficult to say no when one feels so happy. I wish all to share my joy.
They say these feelings will go away. I hope not.
They don't have to go away! I'm amazed your mother hasn't gotten you to set a date, yet!lol I can't wait to hear and see more about the wedding! Is she going to stay all year, if necessary? Won't you be crazy by then?lol Or are you contemplating next month? Let us know, so we can send good wishes on your special day!
ReplyDeletehugs,
Jean
you are very patient and I give you many kudos for not making your Mom stay in your barn! lol!!
ReplyDeleteWhen the final day comes...please post pictures for us in Blogland, OK? I would LOVE to see the traditional dress and suit that you and your Coastie are going to wear :)
Wait, do you mean the wedding won't be until Spring or Summer next year? If so, that's a long time to have your mom around.
ReplyDeleteJeankfl... It is not because she has not tried! If it were for her to decide, next month will still be too far away! lol
ReplyDeleteHaphazardkat... My patience is not so great a thing. I spend many hours "working" in the barn since mother will not go there for the smell.
Zeri... The wedding will be when it is so Mother will need to decide her stay. After all, It was not ME who assumed a marriage would be immediate so my presence was required. ;)