Pages

Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Mother is Here

Mother is here.

If it seems I lack enthusiasm for it you are correct. She has begun her "mother" chores. I know she does it for love but does she have to start at the airport?

Her first words to me were not greetings. They were "You are getting fat! Do you wish to run your Coastie away?" I am not fat! I am my usual weight +- a kilo now and then. My Coastie does not grunt when he lifts me. I choose to ignore Mother on this point.

She begins cleaning my house, cooking my food, all the while making comments of how I have lessened my standards and a husband does not wish a dirty house and poorly cooked food.

I think I regret telling her of the proposal so soon before the wedding. If it were possible to tell Father and Jiao without telling it her I might have done so.

I hope these things she says are done when we begin to speak of the wedding in ernest. It will be difficult enough to convince her of the necessity of including western ideas in the wedding. She would be happy of only a Chinese wedding.

To be sure, I wish to include Chinese in my wedding. It is only I do not wish to be dominated by it. I am not in China. My Coastie does not understand, or even know of, Chinese wedding customs. We will blend the cultures. It is only a question of how it is done.

I confess a certain devilish glee not having chosen a date yet. To see Mother huff and puff about it is funny to me. She pressures Coastie to name a date and he insists it is my decision. She pressures me and I insist it is his decision.

We should choose a date soon but for the moment it is less important than other things. We must first decide what the wedding will be. Now I must only convince Mother of this.

I will need much luck and even more patience.

3 comments:

  1. hehe She is just fulfilling the job description of a mother!! No matter the country or culture, mothers are the same! And someday your children will say the same thing about you!lol Be nice, and give her some tasks to do, and set a date for her to work with!! And cultivate MUCH patience!!lol It will work out as it is supposed to, no matter what.
    Congratulations!
    Jean

    ReplyDelete
  2. I come bearing well wishes and...

    much alcohol.

    Much.

    hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. how goes things with you? :) Long time no hear!! Catch us up! :)

    ReplyDelete