Now there is time to write more thoroughly of my visit to Walla Walla.
I must comment on the apparent differences of attitude for me there. I met only those who were respectful and friendly. The frowns and general grumpiness of home were not seen. And it is possible that one may forget there is differences of me and them. There was assistance when I required it but not of the sort found at home. People seemed genuinely interested in helping with no thought of reward. In fact, several times I attempted to repay a kindness and was met with a smile and refusal. It seems there remain places where a thank you is enough.
Big Boss provided me with a car for my time there, though I used it very little. I began my free days with the Downtown Walking Tour. It is an enjoyable way to see the city and meet the people. I often found myself in conversation with local people who were eager to recommend places to visit.
Surprising to me is the number of art galleries located in Walla Walla. I visited many of them. You should also. Many pieces are not only beautiful but very reasonable in price. I could not resist making purchases in several galleries. I simply used the excuse of holidays. Perhaps some may even be given as gifts but that remains a question for now.
The contrast of locations is glaring. Here, the tribes have only casinos. Walla Walla has many places of history and art of the tribes. One must wonder if the valley tribes lose their history in persuit of money. I think they could learn much from the Eastern tribes.
The people behave very differently. Here it is common to see one wrapped in their day at the expense of all else(I shamefully admit I have found myself doing such). My experiences in Walla Walla demonstrated the opposite. People seemed eager to interupt their day to help your day proceed better. Admittedly, the small towns around my home are better than Salem or Albany but there still remain substantial differences in attitudes.
For instance, in my local area, people are friendly but I know I am not considered part of the community. I am different. I am Chinese. I am a woman. I am single. At restaurants, If I enter alone, I eat alone.
My experience in Walla Walla was very different. People seemed to have interest in who I was rather than what I was. It was unnerving in the beginning, but soon it was easy to welcome someone who wished to sit and eat with me. I was soon not aware of my race. This is not to say people did not question me of my origins (it is difficult to miss my pronunciations). But these questions were honest attempts to discover me, at the least so it seemed to me. I have only felt accepted as this in the Bing family.
Given the reason and chance, I believe I would relocate there. In any case, it will remain one of my most favorite places to be.
the small town charm is the hardest to resist.
ReplyDelete