Pages

Monday, January 14, 2008

Catching Up

It has been a busy time for me. Forgive my neglect of posting.

My coastie finally returned from his training. It was just one day before the station party so there was much rushing to prepare his uniform. Fortunately for me, I had my new gown long before. My coastie was disappointed he was unable to help choose it but was pleased with my choice.

Unlike last year, my gown this year was not hooped. I found the hoop awkward. It made sitting an interesting challenge. For this year my gown looked to be a combination of Qi Pao and wedding dress. It looked Qi Pao to the hip then blossomed to the floor with a short train. The color was cause for me to feel awkward for a time. It was an emerald green with a satin finish. The only emerald green gown present. It was, in fact, the only emerald green in the room. Mixing unnoticed was not possible. It took some time for me to become comfortable. I did finally enjoy myself with much dancing and conversation.

Christmas with the Bing family was the usual frenzy to prepare for. The family is VERY large and seems to be larger in number than all of the Coast Guard station. I continue to be in wonder that so many can be in Mother Bing's house at one time. Even so, it is a very enjoyable time. There was much food, much wine, many games, and conversations everywhere. I must add that this gathering continues for 3 days. Gift exchanges occur the third day. Mother and Father Bing gave me a new show halter for Peevy! It has silver conchos and silver name plate with Peevy's name engraved into it. Father Bing has constructed for me a trophy case. He says I will need it to contain the many trophies I will win. He has more confidence in that than I.

Western New Year was the usual Parties. I chose to spend the evening with My Coastie at Mother Bing's home. It was quiet and dignified. After so much activity in the past weeks it was good for me to quietly welcome the year. Quiet conversation, glasses of wine, hugs from the Bings, and kisses from My Coastie were enough for me.

Now there is only Chinese New Year to contend with. It will be much easier this year as Father is not here as he was last. I will do traditional preparations and give traditional gifts to the children. I will only not worry so much to please Father. Perfection will not be necessary.

I hope you all have enjoyed your holidays as I have mine. I wish for all to prosper in this new year

2 comments:

  1. you got to show us the gown!

    so good to know you are having a enjoyable time out there. i thought you eloped :D what did you contribute for Christmas dinner? ... besides appetite?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear from you again! Sounds like wonderful holidays. We do need to see the dress! Happy Chinese New Year!
    Jeankfl

    ReplyDelete