Pages

Wednesday, June 20, 2007

First trip

Jiao is here and, so far, well behaved.

Our first trip together was to Walla Walla. I decided this because the scenery is beautiful. Monday, we drove east in the Columbia River Gorge. We stopped at many places.

After receiving the necessary, (snakes, scorpions, falling, etc.) Jiao climbed over the surroundings seeking whatever was to be found. Fortunately, no snakes were found but she did manage to locate several scorpions and fall twice. She also discovered lava rocks are sharp.
I avoided Multnoma Falls since it was very crowded but I did stop in the parking area for Jiao to take a picture. Instead, I took her to a waterfall further into the gorge. Though not well known since it is undeveloped, I think it is more beautiful since it falls a much greater distance.

The afternoon was spent exploring sights in Walla Walla. No wineries were visited since Jiao is not of age but there remained much that even I had not seen on previous visits. It seems she has a fascination for cowboys so the fort was of great interest to her.


Tuesday we drove west through the gorge stopping along the way at those things we missed Monday. We crossed into Washington at John Day to see the water coming from the dam. As we returned from that we saw the fishing platforms used by the local tribe. They have greater courage than I to get upon them. They looked very frail and sttod next to swift water.





We drove along the historic old highway. There was very little to the side of the road once past the rails! It reminded me of trips to the mountain trails in China that clung to the side of cliffs.
Of course the views from along this road were breathtaking. Once the summit was reached there was a view that allowed you to see far back along the river. Trains that were likely a kilometer in length looked very small.

I enjoyed the trip and Jiao seems to have as well. A trip to Bend may be scheduled. There are many places I wish to show her and there are many places she wishes to see.

4 comments:

  1. How wonderful!! I'm so happy that you get to spend this time with your sister. What a treasure of memories you two are storing up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice places! it's wonderful that you and your sister share similar interests. how long is she staying? just for the summer?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a fun road trip! Of course, I can't believe there there were no visits to wineries. Then again, your sister sounds like she might be prone to accidents enough already.

    ReplyDelete