Pages

Saturday, September 12, 2026

New Year Without Me

A new school year has begun! It does not include me. I find myself struggling to find constructive things to do.

With our departure date in January, I am unable to accept a full-time teaching position' I am available for sub placements on a limited basis but since it is limited, I am at the bottom of the list to be called in. That leaves me with very little to do. Once again, my habits are proving not to be helpful in keeping me busy. My walls are already bare in preparation of movers boxing everything up. I have already reduced us to bare essentials even though there remains approximately four months before our HHG will be picked up.

Yes, there are appointments that will occupy some time and as we get closer to departure, they will occupy more time but for now I am getting bored. The children are fortunate they still have school to take up their time. At least we save a little money on daycare since I am home with Su all day now. There is planning of a 2nd birthday party for her, (like that will take so much time). I suppose short trips should occupy our remaining time here.

We have traveled more here. Our last significant trip was to Casablanca, Morocco. We chose this trip for the Casablanca movie. We were a little disappointed there was not more to see of the movie scene locations but that is Hollywood for you.

“Rick's Cafe Americain” was recreated and one can feel they are in a familiar place if they watched the movie (we did just before the trip).

This place never existed in 1942 when the film is set. It is just a recreation of the movie scene but it is true to the set so much that one almost expects Humphrey Bogart and Ingrid Bergman to appear. Even the music is a match for the movie, piano music of the 1940's and 1950's each night.

It is located against the Medina of Casablanca, the traditional city center. It is a beautiful area to explore. One tends to preconceive what an area will look like based on the surrounding areas. I will be honest, I did not expect much. I expected dust and dirt made worse by heat but it was very clean and pleasant. It would seem Moroccans take great pride in their city.

It was a very pleasant trip that I wish we had done sooner so that we could do it again. I recommend you visit if the chance presents itself.

We will have short visits to local favorites before we leave, as many as we can fit in four months. My neighbors already plan a Fiesta de Despedida, a going away party, which I very much look forward to. Leaving Spain is eagerly awaited but at the same time is not since I must yet again say goodbye to friends.

At least some time is being filled with activity.


No comments:

Post a Comment