Charleston is confirmed. Report date is in January 2027. It is an unusually long time from now but I will not complain since it gives me more time to accomplish my tasks. Since I have already begun the early planning of the change of command reception, it will be an unrushed process.
The drawback of our arrival time is that we will be out of rotation sequence, meaning we will arrive alone rather than in a group of people PCS’ing at the same time. It does not change the assignment at all but makes it more difficult to find your “tribe.” At least, that s how it works OCONUS. It has been some time since we were stationed in the States so I could be mistaken about how it goes.
One hold up will be that I do not know who the replacement captain’s wife is. We should discover her name and reporting date in the next month of two. Then I will be able to begin coordinating events with her.
I have already informed the school that I will not be available for next school year. That makes me sad, I enjoy teaching high school very much. I have informed them I will be available for a limited time for substitute work though so it is not completely terrible.
The children are happy they need not learn another language to enjoy the new assignment. I am not sure how they will do though. Jun speaks a language that often includes words and phrases from English, Japanese,Chinese, and Spanish. Chao lei is not so linguistically confused but does, on occasion, slip in the non-English phrase now and then. Su may have issues in day care. We will see.
The PCS clock begins the countdown now. Let the games begin!
Yay! That's such a cool assignment! I've never been to Charleston and would like to go someday, so I'll look forward to reading about it here. Good luck!
ReplyDelete