We have a destination. There are no orders yet but Jared has discovered our next assignment.
NSA Charleston in South Carolina. It is a command position but it is a shore duty station for Jared. He is not pleased. No surprise. He is a man of the sea. It is said though, a well rounded career includes shore duty if one wishes to become an Admiral. Perhaps with this assignment, he can prove his worthiness for promotion.
For the family it means a (relatively speaking) normal life. The children will have their father to help them. Chao lei can ask his father for help on his homework rather than me. His father can answer those awkward budding teenage questions rather than me. The girls will be able to see their father to learn what a husband should be. They will have a better opportunity to be spoiled by their father rather than tolerate their practical mother. I will have a husband that is home every day. Of course, I have been told to be careful for what I ask for. For me it means that when things are being shot at ships, my husband is not there. He is with me. I will not wonder of his welfare while he is away since he will not be away. I will talk with him face to face, every day. I will be able to hold him every day.
Before our PCS though, we will travel to Casablanca. I have seen the movie. I wish to see if it resembles the real city at all. Probably not but it is a good excuse to go there. We will attempt to do some other trips too before we leave .I am not sure where they will be to.
How much time do we have to complete these trips? I do not know. There are no orders yet; only a note from the detailer stating our PCS destination. This kerfluffle in the gulf has upended rotation schedules so we do not even know when Jared will be relieved from his ship. The fun part of that is it is for me to organize the reception that follows the ceremony. That is difficult to do without that date. All of the planning must be given at least three months. I am able to preplan some things but until other factors are determined, I am at a standstill.
This delay of orders sets me on edge. There has been a threat of an extension of Jared's tour. I hope there is not one. I want us somewhere that I can reasonably expect that no one is shooting things at my husband and I will see him at the end of the day. The detailer's note gives me some hope but notes are not orders. They can vanish with no warning.
I will remain positive that orders are coming soon and we will return stateside soon. Another positive... promotion boards are soon and it is looking good.
Good luck with it all! I hope you have definite orders soon so you can make your plans.
ReplyDelete