Pages

Monday, August 18, 2025

New School Year

Today I meet my students for the first time.

I will discover the personality of my classes. Every class has one. It depends on the students. What mix of the star pupil, people pleaser, and hard worker will set the tone.  Every classroom is a kaleidoscope of personalities and managing them all is important.

My first priority is to redevelop my "poker face." It is very useful in dealing with a difficult student. If I am to believe Jared, I should play poker often because my face can be hard to read. Keeping a neutral expression during a conflict can be difficult but I remember that the conflict can also be a teaching point.

I am nervous to begin. I know my subjects well. I know my students not at all.

 

1 comment:

  1. I have never been a "real" teacher, but working in a school for several years and subbing taught me that yes, the personalities of the students in any given group are the most important and most difficult part of the job. And, as you said, not reacting visibly is key. Also true as a mother. :-) Good luck! I hope you have a good group of students.

    ReplyDelete