Pages

Saturday, July 26, 2025

Traveling With a Baby

 

Once again, Jared is away so the children and I are left to our own designs.

One would have thought I would have a definite system for traveling with little by now. I though I had one once then along came Su. A 9 months old child is not so easy to travel with. There are some things I have discovered to make it easier Notice, I did NOT say easy!

When traveling, there are three things to remember. Forgetting them can be easy to do. If Su starts crying I check these immediately; sleep, diaper, food. The first thing I do is check for her diaper. Then I determine if she is hungry, and then remember the last time she slept.

Nine times out of ten she was upset for one of those three reasons. And once I solved it, the crying would stop almost immediately.

Traveling with a baby can be challenging but it can also be rewarding. Just think of the pictures of the baby with Palace or ornate gates that most people do not see. I offer my ideas for traveling in case it can help someone else.

First , plan for several stops. Especially if you are driving. It will become obvious that stopping is needed every 1 to 3 hours, depending on the baby's age. For Su, it is 2 hours. She steadfastly refuses to remain in her seat for longer. We are always prepared to dedicate a few stops for essentials such as diaper changes and feeding.

As one must do with the Navy, be flexible. You should always have a Plan A and a Plan B. Plans C and D could not hurt. Plan A is the goal but it will likely end up Plan B. You may have to remove an activity from your day, choosing a drive-thru over a sit-down restaurant, or taking the fastest route instead of the most scenic. It will happen so be prepared for it.

Do not be in a hurry! Patience is the key. A trip that usually takes two hours might take four. That is just the reality. Take a deep breath and enjoy the journey anyway. You will find your rhythm. When you do, let go of strict timelines, your trip will feel much more enjoyable.

If possible, plan driving time around nap times. I try to begin driving about 30 minutes before our Su’s scheduled nap. It gives her time to settle and often results in a solid car nap. An app certainly helps in tracking just when her naps are. I use an app called Huckleberry. It helps me keep tabs on sleep, feedings, medicine, and more.

Prepare to pack far more for the baby than for yourself, From 2–3 outfit changes per day to diapers, wipes, towels, and more, I filled an entire suitcase just for her. Add in the stroller, car seat, and pack ‘n play… it adds up fast. Make sure that when you load it all into the car, all of the baby stuff is the easiest to access. And make sure you have the little things that are easy to forget such as batteries for toys.

Use breaks or evenings at your destination to give the baby a gentle stretch or massage. It helps with sleep, soothes fussiness, and can even support digestion and muscle development.

BABY WIPES! They are like gold! Baby wipes fix everything – diaper changes, spills, sticky hands, wiping down surfaces... And make sure you pack one more than you think you will need. Trust me, you will use them.

As I suggested. If you do these things, it may help you have a better trip. It is not a rule though as all babies are different. Develop your travel habits accordingly.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh, YES to baby wipes haha I can't tell you how many times I've forgotten wipes and instantly regretted life. These are great tips, Mei!

    ReplyDelete