Pages

Saturday, July 19, 2025

Saturday Soup

It has been some time since I have posted a recipe. It is not because there have not been any. Only that I have been too lazy. I have determined to make up for my lacking.

Today's recipe is Irish Bacon and Potato Soup. I discovered it last March searching for an appropriate meal for St Patrick's Day.  It has been deemed a favorite so we do not wait for any particular day to eat it. Even the neighborhood boys enjoy the break from their typical Spanish cuisine when I prepare it.


 

Irish Bacon and Potato Soup

 

Ingredients

- 6 slices of Irish bacon or thick-cut bacon, diced

- 1 large onion, chopped

- 4 cups chicken broth

- 2 large potatoes, peeled and diced

- 4 cups cabbage, chopped 

- 2 cloves garlic, minced

- Salt and pepper to taste

- 2 tablespoons olive oil or butter

- Fresh parsley for garnish (optional)

Instructions:

1. In a large pot, heat the olive oil or butter over medium heat. Add the diced bacon and cook until crispy. Remove the bacon and set aside, leaving the rendered fat in the pot.

2. Add the chopped onion and garlic to the pot, sautéing until the onion is translucent.

3. Stir in the diced potatoes and pour in the chicken broth. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for about 10 minutes, until the potatoes are fork-tender.

4. Add the chopped cabbage and cooked bacon back into the pot.

5. Cook until cabbage is softened to your liking.

 

It is a simple soup but delicious and filling. We have been known to serve it room temperature on those days that seem to warm for soup.

2 comments:

  1. I would love this. I suspect my children would not. However, I'm sitting here thinking how good it would be to use sauerkraut in place of some or all of the plain cabbage, and add some sour cream. Then it would be more German than Irish, though. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am definitely going to make this when the weather gets cooler here!

    ReplyDelete