Pages

Friday, September 13, 2024

Movers and Potassium

 

If you read everything you can about PCS moves you discover they are a simple process that, aside from some minor hick-ups, are uneventful. You also discover that they can be traumatic voyages to the nether regions of hell. It all depends on who you read. I have survived four PCS moves. Each one was unique.

My first move was only my things going to Japan to join Jared after we were married. It was uneventful and everything showed up on time. Their condition was another matter. Broken picture frames and deeply scratched tables were the order of the day. Our claims took almost a year to settle. By then, I had bought new things.

My second move was to Florida. The Japanese movers were efficient to the extreme. Their attention to detail was phenomenal. There was no damage beyond one picture whose glass was cracked.

My return to Japan was much like the first. Damaged furniture and destroyed picture frames. This time though, they managed to break my couch in half. Again, the claim process took almost a year to settle and by then things were replaced.

This last move to Spain was a repeat of the first move from Japan; the model of efficiency and attention to detail. As good as they are, I thought we would see some damage since it was all traveling half-way around the world. Amazingly, there was very little.

I have concluded that Japanese movers are more efficient than American movers are. Each move with a Japanese company resulted in little to no damages. Each move with an American company resulted in damages of nightmare proportions.

It would be unfair of me to say all American companies are bad. I have not been moved by all of them.  The ones that have moved my things are certainly not a shining example for others though but what can you expect when the movers chosen to take my things to another place are the ones who gave the lowest bid?

On Tuesday, I experienced a tremendous pain in my chest. To be honest, I thought of a heart attack, but the doctors did blood work and discovered I am low on potassium. I only wonder how that could have happened.

I eat a controlled diet and take my supplements regularly. It seems I am not absorbing enough through diet and my current supplements. The doctor has prescribed a larger dose of potassium. Yay. Another pill. And it is HUGE! I find I must cut it in half to take it. Since I do not want a repeat of that pain, I will dutifully cut pills and take them regularly.

It looks as if Su’s pregnancy is not as problem free as it seemed it would be. Hopefully this is the only bump in the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment