Our neighborhood is turning out to be a very close one. I am beginning to believe Jared’s absences will not be so disruptive. I also believe it will be difficult to claim loneliness. Already, we have been part of 4 “park parties” where families from the neighborhood gather in the park to grill, play music, and generally party together. These are family focused events and we have been unreservedly included in each of them. The only one we have missed so far was due to a conflict with the change of command ceremony.
I am grateful that the children here are as accepting as their parents. Chao lei and Jun have been treated as if they have lived here for many years. It took a little time for my children to relax and meet people, but they finally did and now play regularly with the other children. And their Spanish is improving by leaps and bounds. I fear I will be the one who is not well understood. I am corrected often by them for poor usage. In fact, they speak little else right now so I must study harder to keep up with them.
The first cruise is underway. Estimated return? Who knows. A few days? A few weeks? A few months? Well, it IS the Navy.
This time was rather abrupt though. Usually, we have a few days to prepare for it. This time was only 2 days. Change of Command and boom, gone. It was such a joy to receive that announcement at the ceremony, and from Jared no less. He got a look from me since it is obvious that he knew beforehand. Did you know that controlling facial reactions is sometimes very difficult? It ends up as, “Please ignore what my face said while you were speaking.” He also immediately apologized for not informing me. At least those around me now know I have no readily available insider information about the ship. Barely a single city outing before he is gone again. We had a good month with him though, so it is not all bad.
This tour looks to be easier to settle in to than I thought it would be. I am ecstatic that the children are doing so well. My pregnancy is well known among the neighbors. One of the women is a midwife and has volunteered to step in should any difficulties arise unexpectedly.
It is difficult to believe next week is the beginning of the third trimester. This pregnancy is passing so quickly. I think all of the activity of moving had something to do with that. Su has the hiccups, bad. Worse, it startles me every time she has them. I thought the heartburn was going away but it returned with a vengeance this morning. I cannot complain much though. Su has been the easiest pregnancy by far with no surprises.
I believe we are finding our new normal fairly quickly. This tour is not proving to be the struggle I thought it would be… so far. But it is promising.
No comments:
Post a Comment