Pages

Thursday, May 30, 2024

8 Days

Only eight days until we depart Japan for Spain.

Mother and Father were able to visit in before we leave. They did not see me much as I had exams to grade but being realistic, they were not here to see me. They came to have time with their grandchildren before they lose the opportunity to see them so easily.

I have one day of finals remaining; Monday. I have remained on pace to grade exams so I may even have two days of essentially babysitting what students do attend classes. Being what has amounted to an absent mom for the last few days has made our departure as uncomplicated as possible. All that will be required of me on Thursday is to make an appearance to say goodbyes.

It seems, according to other teachers at school, that departing from Haneda Airport in Tokyo is unusual. Others have been asking how we arranged to avoid the “Freedom Bird.” I have been told this is a contracted flight that departs from Yokota Air Base and is not the most luxurious flight to have. Well, it IS contracted and you know who wins contracts; the lowest bidder.

We did not arrange our flight though. It was done by the travel office and if I go by how the contract flight has been described, Spartan has been the word most commonly used, I am happy for our being scheduled as we are. We will be as comfortable as possible on a Delta 777 for 10 hours rather than an Atlas 747.

It is difficult to think our new adventure begins in only a few days. We will spend a short week at home, well, Mother Bing’s house, before going on to Spain. We will have two weeks to in-process and settle in before Jared assumes command in July. It seems as if we will finally not need to “hit the ground running” at the beginning of an assignment.

Only eight days. I am excited.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you avoided the military flight! We managed to fly Korean Air when we moved to Korea vs. Patriot Express, and we were so glad! Here's hoping your move goes smoothly, my friend!

    ReplyDelete