Pages

Sunday, July 23, 2023

Not Again

One would believe that in the modern Navy, events such as this one would not occur. What event? I am again (still?) a "gook b***h." This time this event was not including a designing woman, so there is that.

I would like to assume that this sailor was simply having a bad day that allowed his sense to leave him. It was all about a parking space. Normally I do not use the reserved parking for command officers. I am not an officer, much less a command officer so I avoid using them usually. Yesterday was an exception. I was under a tight schedule and it was available so this time I pulled in and parked. It seems a sailor wanted the same spot. Why he was upset I do not know. He was an enlisted sailor and ineligible to use the spot. But irritated he was and shouted at me through his window that I was a "gook b***h."

It is my understanding that the term "gook" was applied to people of Vietnamese ancestry. I am of Chinese ancestry. But I am also told that "we all look alike." Really? My husband and children can determine it is me, on site, very reliably, as I stand in the midst of a group of Asians.

I believe this sailor is fortunate that he was not overheard by someone of importance given the proximity of all the reserved spaces. I know he is fortunate that Jared was not present. I have become less sensitive to such name-calling but he seems to react strongly in my defense. 

*edit* It seems our Petty Officer WAS overheard by someone of some rank. My phone rang this morning. The call was from Jared's former captain, who happened to overhear the exchange, asking for my version of what happened . I was informed the PO could face serious consequences. What, would be determined by the PO's command.

I would like to say this did not affect me in the slightest. I would be lying. It was shocking to my system that in the present, someone could be so mean. But I picked myself up and continued my day. His bad day did not have to be mine. I chose to continue in the good mood I had started my day in. I am able to, mostly, do this because of a lifetime of being treated as less than I am. Being female and Chinese is no simple task no matter where you live.

I pray the PO learns and has better days. He likely is not a bad person. He is only a person that had a bad day. I pray that my children do not face these things as frequently as I have and when they do, they are strong to move beyond it. The Navy is a safer place to be but they will not always be around the Navy.


1 comment:

  1. I'm sorry this happened to you, and I admire your charitable response.

    ReplyDelete