Once again there will be a holiday without Jared. At least, he will not be here for the proper day. we have planned our family day for after the ship's return. Meanwhile, we will also observe Thursday. I could not bear the thought of not doing so for at least one sailor that is alone. I will have a female Lieutenant as a guest. I will also host Dorothy since her husband is away also. Poor Chao lei will be surrounded by females for the day. lol
I have been required to stand in for a couple of professors as they have been out ill. They were not covid but in today's environment, the administration takes no chances. I am almost afraid to sneeze or cough for fear I will be tested yet again. If tests were vaccines, I would be immune to everything for having been subjected to so many; five so far. I pray that I do not contract flu again.
I watch the news. The news sources are always talking about how the government is taking sexual harassment seriously. I hear admirals speaking of how it is a very serious subject and there is no tolerance for it. I hear of sexual harassment training in the base paper. I have been told it is a mandatory class in basic training. If all of these things are true, why does sexual harassment remain? I am not speaking of simple or minor missteps. There will always be small things that are not worth being offended for. I am speaking of overt "in your face" sexual harassment.
Yesterday, a young sailor (I assume sailor as he was in civilian clothes and on a naval base) said to me "You are a hot little thing. You look like you would be fun. Want to spend some time with me?" The look on his face made me very uncomfortable. Even Chao lei moved to a place between him and me, his behavior was so blatant. What would he have done without my children being present?
Has this person somehow escaped all of the training? Why does he believe this behavior would be acceptable to any woman. I have thought of reporting this to CFAY but without a name I believe it would be a fruitless endeavor. I have never been uncomfortable while on base as I was in that moment. In fact, I still find myself looking for that face again to avoid it or perhaps see something that would identify him. Jared has certainly been told of this event though there is little he can do at sea. It is not as the time I was called "a little bfm", (which I still do not know what it is), when Jared was present and he did not respond well to it.
I am more conscious now of where I am and who is near. Not afraid, just more aware. More aware is good anyway.
Ewww Mei!! I am so, so sorry you had to deal with that. That's so gross and uncalled for!
ReplyDeleteOne would believe the behavior would end if only from fear of what the Navy would do to the offender.
ReplyDeleteOh, Mei. That's so unacceptable. It amazes me that such behavior is still present in this day and age! I am glad Chao Lei can model his behavior from upstanding examples like you and Jared!
ReplyDeleteChao lei is my little hero. He is much like his father. :-)
Delete