Pages

Saturday, December 14, 2013

Why?

Why is it that otherwise very intelligent people cannot seem to understand what a schedule is?

I had a posted schedule for questions and help for students prior to final exams. I encouraged them to not wait for asking especially for term papers. My constant reminders have had no effect. I find myself sometime wishing I could do as my professors in China would do for such laziness and ignore them; throwing them to the academic lions to be devoured.

I believe I have discovered the reason for this laziness. It seems that Japanese children are given extra schooling during their young life to ensure their entry into a prestigious university. Once there, university is simply a holiday requiring only minimal effort until entry to the working world.

I believe this is not a good way to think. Since our chosen field of study is constantly changing, it is sensible to apply oneself to the material so nothing new is missed. I know which students will become leaders after graduation by watching how they apply themselves to the course work. The majority of those students are not Japanese which is unfortunate given this is a Japanese university.

It is frustrating for me to know the intelligence is high in a student but that they will ultimately not do well because their motivation is low. I wish to believe I am helping train future computer scientists rather than computer assembly line workers.

As for Little One, I have found a jumper he enjoys very much. Before leaving, Lt made sure to secure it to the door way rather than depending on the spring loaded hanger. It is a strong a strong spring but it remains a spring. It is Chao lei's favorite place to be. He jumps very much but I fear I may have a thrill seeker. He has discovered how to spin. He spins often and to the point he is obviously dizzy and unable to hold his head upright. If I attempt to stop his spinning, he becomes unhappy with me and is not ashamed to tell me so I usually leave him to it.

Lt is away still. I am hoping the ship returns before Christmas.


No comments:

Post a Comment