Pages

Thursday, June 06, 2013

Hello Again!

I have received a visitor this morning. My little drowned rat named Shane has returned to visit me. You will remember him from my post about his adventures in a typhoon. I have seen him around the base since then and we say hello each time. Today he made special effort to visit. Do not fear. His mother accompanied him.

At the beginning, his mother seemed comfortable. After a short time Lt came home to retrieve a paper he left and she became uncomfortable. Our chatting became awkward. Shortly after he departed I discovered the reason for the change. Her husband is a Chief Petty Officer. Mine is a Lieutenant.

I have found another bias I did not know I was supposed to have. It seems I may live among enlisted dependents, shop among them, swim among them, and even give birth among them BUT I am not supposed to socialize with them?

They tell me the Navy is a family. I have enjoyed that thought. But how are we to be a family if those who are left behind are not allowed to behave as one? I also know there are certain proprieties to be observed. My question is, is there a compromise to be had. How can we dependents socialize regardless of our spouses' rank without violating the necessary proprieties? After all, I am not a Lieutenant and Shane's mother is not a CPO.

Given my friendship with Tammy, I tend to believe Mrs. CPO is over reacting. Perhaps those of you with more experience can help me understand better.

 If you are interested, Shane is doing well and there have been no further groundings. Being an industrious young man he seeks work. Unless he acquires better, he will see to the upkeep of mine and Lt's cars and assist in other projects as I may require. It is not much but it will give him some pocket money for the summer.

1 comment:

  1. I think it's too bad that some wives get nervous around, or don't socialize with other wives of higher/lower rank, you can miss out on some really good friends by limiting your choices. My husband is an E7 in the Marine Corps and I have never once had any problem with having friends with husbands of other rank. We women need to stick together, especially when we are so far separated from our families back home, all we have is other military wives when we are OCONUS, rank shouldn't matter.

    ReplyDelete